XL2 + Pelican 1610 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 + Pelican 1610

I've been researching here for several weeks for my upcoming XL2 purchase and have spent a great deal of time trying to decide which case to get to house the camera. I've narrowed it down to the Pelican line, with padded dividers (to avoid the dust problem). I saw at cases4less that the XL1s will fit lying on its side with plenty of space to boot, but my question is:

Will the XL2 fit standing up in the case?

According to the internal dimensions of the case vs. the camera it should fit, but I can't quite visualize whether or not there will be enough padding. I was hoping that a pelican user could help out...is the 1610 too small? Just right? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated. Happy holidays!
Old December 24th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Devin,

Just received my XL-2 and Pelican 1610 yesterday.
Here is what I did, hopefully the image will say it all.

http://pennastudio.com/misc/xl-2-1610-case-sm.jpg (135K)

Mr. Bill
Old December 24th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Bill, thanks so much for posting! I knew someone else out there was considering the same pacakge that I was! So is there enough padding below and above the XL2? Looks like you've got ample space for accessories as well. Thanks again for posting, I really appreciate the help. Happy holidays!
Old December 24th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #4
Major Player

The padding is in four layers (not including the cover.)
The botom is about an inch thick (I left that intact.)
The other three layers are about 2 !/4 inches thick.
The top foam (in the cover) is of eggcreate design and about 1 3/4 inches thich.

Bill
Old December 24th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Seems like a nice fit. Im just wondering, what would be the doskocil and vanguard equivilent?

I found these two cases. They didn't seem to the exactly the same dimensions, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these cases or not.

http://www.exploreproducts.com/cameracasevgc310w.htm

http://www.exploreproducts.com/dosko...cameracase.htm
(See extra large dimensions)

Thanks!
Travis Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM   #6
Major Player

I think the Vanguard might work if you laid the camera on it's side.
The Doskocil while the price is attractive would be to small even in the extra large size. IMHO

I took the other cases measurements and compared them to the Pelican 1610 I still would go with the 1610 over these cases. YMMV

Bill
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just recieved my Pelican 1610 today and I have been taking all of the XL2 components and fitting them around trying to find the best placement.

Now, in Bill Hamell's picture. He sorted his case to where he took his lense off of his camera and placed it in the case separately.

I REALLY don't want to have to disasemble unless I absolutley have to (Better for camera, Things like that).

When moving everything around I noticed I could fit the entire XL2 and lense standing up in the case with about an inch of space on the rear and and inch of space at the front. My question is, would it really be smart to just put the entire camera assembled into the case? Could there be cons to doing it that way?

Thanks.
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #8
Wrangler

Like a lot of you, I'm in the market for a hard case such as the Pelican that will allow me to fit my XL2 and mics in an airliner overhead bin, preferably without having to take the camera apart.

I've used a Kata Panda for my ol' GL2 and really like being able to move dividers "on the fly" and NOT having the bother of cutting foam...wondering if anyone has any comments on these larger hard cases for the XL2 that have the padded Velcro dividers rather than foam?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The Pelican 1610 does, Pete. It just costs about 50 dollars more. You can choose from the padded dividers or the foam. Myself I chose the foam because it seemed more secure to me. (plus I have one camera and I wont need to move things around.)

Im not too sure about the 1610 fitting in an airliner overhead bin, but it is a great case. Now I just need to get to "pluckin' and pullin'".

Hope that helps.
Old December 29th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #10
Wrangler

Thanks Travis. I'm not planning to travel real soon, so have a little time to shop.

I'll have to compare this and competing case dimensions against airliner carry on requirements. Depending on that situation, I might end up getting a larger case for local use and a smaller case to ensure all the high dollar stuff stays in the airliner cabin with me -- even if I have to tear the camera down.

If anyone has tried hard cases with Velcro dividers rather than foam, and wasn't happy, please let me know. In the absence of any negative info, that's the way I'm leaning.

EDIT: I just went to an airline site and the Pelican site. The largest Pelican case that's carry-on legal is the 1510. Looks like the XL2 would require the viewfinder/mic assembly to be removed to fit in this case (easy enough). The lens could stay on.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #11
New Boot

I have several Pelican cases, the 1610 and the 1620. Both are excellent and work very well. If your going to carry your camera on an airline, I would highly reccomend a PortaBrace case. I just flew Chicago to India and carried my camera on using a Porta Brace CTC-3 (CO-PC is the current version). The camera goes in and out with ease, it has a hard plastic cover to protect the viewfinder, pouches for batteries, tapes, etc. and it fits into the overhead. I also carried the 3x lens inside, although it made things tighter. It was a little tight going overhead on one of the smaller planes, and I would reccomend boarding as early as possible to get an available overhead bin. I changed planes at Chicago Midway, Heathrow, Muskat, Abu Dhabi, Mumbai and in Udaipur, and never had any problems with my gear. The padded strap also made life easier getting on and off trains and carrying the camera through crowds or on long hikes. I bought the backpack version when I got back for my XL1s, but I doubt it will fit overhead as well.
David M. Geary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #12
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Travis Maynard : Snip

Now, in Bill Hamell's picture. He sorted his case to where he took his lense off of his camera and placed it in the case separately.

I REALLY don't want to have to disasemble unless I absolutley have to (Better for camera, Things like that).

Snip

Thanks. -->>>

No, no look again I can leave either the 3x or the 20x on the camera!

Which ever lens is not on the camera is in the seperate section.

Bill
Old December 29th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #13
Wrangler

I'd also recommend folks who are considering Pelicans to check out the Storm cases, also viewable at cases4less.com. I've switched brands myself.

For a fee, you can have your case custom-foamed. It may seem extravagant, but if you plan to use the camera a lot it will make things much easier in the long run, and will be a good resale item as well. You need to bring your gear to whoever does the foaming for you. It's really slick.
Old December 29th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Ahh, I see. Nice. I fitted mine similar to yours, Bill. Very nice case and its very sturdy.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 04:42 PM   #15
Major Player

If someone from the group emailed me about this thread I deleted it in error.
Please resend if you can.

Sorry,
Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders