Chrosziel Mattebox.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 25th, 2004, 01:47 AM   #1
New Boot

Chrosziel Mattebox....

Hey does anybody has this accessory in there XL2. Im buying my chroszeil mattebox complete system w/ follow focus and the rod system in www.16x9inc. com for like $3000k....

Just wandering if this was a good upgraded for my XL2 and what filter do I need for good shooting outside were there is alot of sunlight. Im in school right now for Film/Video (1st quarter), so this is my first time using the Chrosziel equiptment and the follow focus. Just give some good advise, if you ever work with this particular product in the XL's.

ArcenioFilms.....
Steve Arcenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2004, 03:40 AM   #2
Major Player

3K??? Hope not 3000K.
This kit will also fit a 250K 35mm camera (Arri, Moviecam, Aaton...).
I don't deny that it can be good, but paying 3k for the follow focus on 4.5k camera looks a bit steep.
I am sure you can make one just by going to a laser cutting workshop and they will do it for you out of any plastic, aluminium or steel for a fraction of the cost if you know what you want.
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2004, 04:55 AM   #3
New Boot

I just found out that the folow focus won't work on the 20x lens, unless i buy another lens, like the canons manual lens. Man this really sucks. well I guess i have to deal without the follow focus.
Old December 25th, 2004, 05:59 AM   #4
New Boot

And also what Century Optics lenses would fit the Chrosziel Matteboxs. I gonna have more question. I love this site it gives me alot of knowledge about DV cameras in general...XL2 is my favorite, but Im also planning on buying a DVX so I don't have to argue about whats better, I'll have both worlds hehe!!...okay anyways it's late.....thanks for every input....

OOh yeah!!

Valeriu Campan...
I don't know if you miss interpret what i said but Im talking about the mattebox and follow focus both included, that answers the Q's ?? also Im a type of guy to buy the best thing out there even though it's spendy, because it's worth buying it in the long run. Thanks for the concern and info.....
Old December 25th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #5
Major Player

No problems Steve, I was trying to help.
It depends on the production pattern. For short term, I'd personally hire and put the rest of the cash in production values. If you intend to use the camera for dramatic narative production for a long time, buy it. I have seen cheaper options.
On a recent film, the producer suggested that for a second camera needed for 2 days we shouldn't use the follow focus/mattebox. I kicked and screamed, said I'd rather go without food for 2 days. Luckily the camera assistant had one in his kit (he made it himself) that looked and especially worked as well as the original. So, I didn't have to bring sandwiches on set and the producer wasn't sorry, because we had a very critical shoot and saved us a lot of time...
On a different note, in Australia we mainly use our version of the kinoflos (Lovelamps) and they are as good as the originals, the only difference, they 66% cheaper.
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #6
New Boot

thanks for the input.....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders