DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL-2r recordingChannels (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/37039-xl-2r-recordingchannels.html)

Tor Keiser December 29th, 2004 01:52 AM

XL-2r recordingChannels

I am a norwegian who got the XL_2 some ago I have tried to use both the front mic and a wireless mic for interviews i canot get the front mic to channel 1 or 2 and the wireless to 2 or 1.
Do i have to use another mic as a front mic and connect it to the rear XLR connector as i have the wireless connected?

Will the sound be good in 12 bits or do i need to have it in 16 bits mode?
Do you know what i can do to get ithis to work hope someone can help ?

Rob Lohman December 29th, 2004 09:16 AM

Welcome aboard DVInfo.net Tor! I'm sure someone will be able
to answer your question.

Tor Keiser December 29th, 2004 10:19 AM

XL-2r recordingChannels

Thanks Rob Thats allways nice to be welcommed on a new place

Richard Alvarez December 29th, 2004 11:20 AM

Tor

The choice of setting is front/line/rear on your audio panel. This means you cannot simultaneously take audio from the front mike and the rear XLR inputs. SO count on using either the front mike or external boom/lavalier or handheld mikes in the xlr channels. Alternately, you can run whatever sound system you like in through the LINE IN , RCA plug.

12bits is okay for interviews, but why use it if you are not running four channels? Stay in 16 bit.

Tor Keiser December 29th, 2004 12:51 PM

XL-2r recordingChannels

Thanks Richard

I guessed it was impossible to use both front mic and rear XLR at same time. Well nothing to do about that maybe Canon will make it possible on the next version?

Do you know where the best place to buy Ligthwaves or other products for the XL-2?

Happy New year to you and all the other here.

Regards
Tor

Pete Bauer December 29th, 2004 12:53 PM

Richard is on the mark. Using the RCA or XLR connections -- rather than the front mic -- is your most straightforward choice. Unless you choose to somewhat limit your sound quality by going 12 bit, you can't use one channel of the front stereo mic and a channel of the RCA or XLR jacks.

The front mic uses a standard 3.5mm stereo jack. I think the other connector is for mic power for the supplied front mic. If you have mini-jack mono-to-stereo Y adaptors and want to be inventive, you could plug a mono lav and another mono mini-jack "front" mic into the front stereo jack. But other than avoiding the need for mini-RCA adaptors or mini-XLR adaptors, there's really no benefit. Just depends on what mics you have and which adaptors you can most easily get your hands on.

Tor Keiser December 29th, 2004 02:39 PM

XL-2r recordingChannels

Hi in Texas Pete.

Thanks for helping all your advices are good, nice to have so much help from you thats realy cool.

I think i will use both a front mic and interwiev mic in rear XLR so it will solve the problems.

I have 3 other cameras to use but i like the XL-2 small light of weight and should be easy to use when i work in the news gathering for the Norwegian broadcasters.

I have been in the field for almost 20 years now. From the old U-matic to the new models and i would like to make the XL-2 as a camera to keep in the car for quick rush out shooting footage.

I got my camera from Singapore and it was Kr.7000.- cheaper than i cold get it here in Norway from friends in the business.

I am also looking for a place to buy a Firestore FS-4 Pro do you know any place where its cheap to buy?

Happy new year from Tor