Canon Removes "Film Grain" from XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 29th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Canon Removes "Film Grain" from XL2

Hooray! See the full story here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Ahh, interesting explanaition. "Can no longer get the software"??? Who would refuse to sell their software to Canon? My guess is they just realized what a dumb feature it was. Will the switch still be labled? (I am guessing all they are doing is a software update).

I think a handy button would be a "tone" generator button. I know its hidden in the menu, but a button would be nice, just like the bars.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #3
Contributor

Stationary film grain looks crappy anyway. Maybe with this new button that's now left over, they can figure out a way to make it switch from mic to line on the XLRs.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #4
Wrangler

This inspired a thought process about onboard tone generators, but for once (Chris! I restrained myself!) I'll post it as a new thread in the appropriate forum rather than digress here.
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #5
Wrangler

I don't care, but from another very long thread...maybe they'll put a mic level / line switch for the XLR inputs! HA! ;-)

Anyway, even as an amateur I immediately thought that the film grain thing was a cheesy idea. Actually, if they are going to do anything at all with that button, Richard's Color Bars & Tone idea is a good one.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Im not sure about you guys, but I would be rather offended if they added something useful to it after I paid 5,000$. It leaves us with the pretty much "useless" feature and (If they add something) everyone else with a new and possible useful addition.
Travis Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #7
Contributor

Well...that's the breaks for being out on the bleeding edge of technology, being the first kid on the block with the newest toy, etc.
Seriously, though, just because they change something doesn't mean the camera you have is any worse. It's still going to produce the same quality image. I read about people who rushed out and dumped their XL1's when the XL1s came out, even though it had only minor improvements. It doesn't matter what you buy or when you buy it, there will always be a new and improved model out.
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #8
Wrangler

I never looked back from switching out the XL1 to the XL1s (and not just because I ended up only paying about $300 for the switch!) Having the ability to keep the camera from going into standby every 5 minutes coupled with the 16:9 framelines in the viewfinder were both massively useful, irregardless of the improvements in picture quality, sensistivity etc. It made that camera platform work for me instead of against me.
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #9
Wrangler

Hey, I don't know Travis. I think my XL2 will be a rare collector's item now...maybe I can sell it for an HDV cam! (Oooh, did I say that OUT LOUD!?????) ;-)
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Haha Nice. Yeah, maybe this will turn into one of those oddball rarities and then we will be instant millionaires. No more filmmaking for me. Consider me retired.
Travis Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #11
Contributor

Going from XL1 to the s model for 300 bucks was a good deal. I'd have done that too. But selling an old one cheap and then buying a new one would not have been a good thing, in my opinion.
Old December 29th, 2004, 03:18 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

<< I would be rather offended if they added something useful to it after I paid 5,000$. >>

Relax. They're not about to add anything. The best case scenario, and even this is a bit of a long shot, is that they might map some existing feature to that extraneous button. But add something new? No way will that happen.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #13
Trustee

eeexcellent-Mr. Burns. *rubs hands*. i'm glad i waited... =).
Old December 29th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #14
Major Player

What's interesting to me is they even publicized this. They must have something they're planning to do with that button. I've never heard of a company bragging about taking away a feature, even if it's a totally cheesy and useless feature.
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Well, in all fairness, Canon USA is not bragging about it -- I am.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders