DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon focus issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/37228-canon-focus-issues.html)

Tom Duncan January 3rd, 2005 06:46 PM

Canon focus issues

I have a XL1-S which still has the old focus-seek issue. (do I have to explain this one?) After taking it into Canon, the problem appeared resolved for a short while but has returned.

Does the XL2 have this issue? Does the new 20X lens solve the problem or can anybody shed light on the issue? I am reluctant to buy another Canon until I am sure the problem is fixed.

thanks,
td

John Sandel January 3rd, 2005 07:27 PM

Tom, I tried Canon AF lenses once and switched to a manual lens without regrets. Unless you need AF for shooting, I'd recommend testing a manual lens to see what you think of its performance.

JS

Richard Hunter January 3rd, 2005 07:46 PM

Hi Tom. I haven't used the XL1-S, so I'm not familiar with the problem. However, I do have an XL2, and I would say the auto-focus is not too great. If you have sufficient depth of field then everything stays sharp enough, but if you are working at wide apertures sometimes it is obvious that the autofocus does not stay locked on without some hunting. I find I am using manual focus most of the time, which is not too much hardship after a bit of practice.

Tom Duncan January 3rd, 2005 08:02 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Sandel : Tom, I tried Canon AF lenses once and switched to a manual lens without regrets. Unless you need AF for shooting, I'd recommend testing a manual lens to see what you think of its performance.

JS -->>>

I own the manual lens too, but sometimes I want to be able to rely on auto, depending on the situation. Not being familiar with a lot of cameras, maybe I am expecting too much? My GL1 doesnt seem to have the problem and I haven't heard similar complaints from other cameras, ex: dvx100a

Reading through a couple other threads and it appears the new lens does the same. bummer.

tom

John Lee January 3rd, 2005 09:24 PM

I had a tough time using the auto on the XL1s. The biggest problem I found was the resolution through the eyepiece was never enough to reveal if you were completely in focus or "just off."

I got used to using the manual lens, and it helped. The Push to AF button is a big help if you have to use the auto lens, because you can keep it in manual and get assistance with the button, that helped me a lot in the beginning.

Barry Goyette January 4th, 2005 12:36 PM

My experience is....overall the xl2's autofocus is slower than the the xl1s, but it is more likely, especially in low light, to stay locked on its target, and much less likely to hunt than the xl1s.

Barry

Lauri Kettunen January 4th, 2005 01:08 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Goyette : My experience is....overall the xl2's autofocus is slower than the the xl1s, but it is more likely, especially in low light, to stay locked on its target, and much less likely to hunt than the xl1s. -->>>

I can second what Barry says. I've made the same conclusion.

rkspiano January 4th, 2005 10:12 PM

Canon focus issues

Automatic focus with my XL2 20x lens is definitely slower (even in "fast" mode) than with my XL1s 16x lens, but this presents no big problem.
I shoot in manual focus but often use AF briefly to find focus. Occasionally in switching between MF and AF, I have found that AF does not work; and it remains nonfunctional until I have restarted the camcorder. This never happened with the XL1s.

Lauri Kettunen January 5th, 2005 02:17 AM

Re: Canon focus issues

<<<-- I have found that AF does not work; and it remains nonfunctional until I have restarted the camcorder. This never happened with the XL1s. -->>>

What about if you have the 20x lens in manual focus mode, and then you use the "on-set" button to temporarily switch on the AF mode? I also have the camera all the time in manual mode, and every now and then use this "on-set" button to turn on the auto focus for a moment. Using this way, I have not recognized the problems you report of.

Richard Hunter January 5th, 2005 04:12 AM

Re: Canon focus issues

<<<-- Originally posted by rkspiano : Automatic focus with my XL2 20x lens is definitely slower (even in "fast" mode) than with my XL1s 16x lens, but this presents no big problem. -->>>

I've seen a few mentions of different autofocus speeds, but I can't see any difference between the settings. The way I interpret the manual is that the focus speed setting only applies to when you are using the focus preset, it affects how quickly the focus returns to the preset distance (which does work for me). Can anyone confirm if this speed setting is also supposed to affect the autofocus normal operation?

<<<-- Occasionally in switching between MF and AF, I have found that AF does not work; and it remains nonfunctional until I have restarted the camcorder. This never happened with the XL1s. -->>>

I haven't seen this happen so far on my XL2. Think I'd better keep my fingers crossed!

Richard

Benoit Lemonnier January 5th, 2005 05:51 AM

focus speed

i haven't test but as i understood the manual, the focus speed in the menu is just for preset focus.