XL2 noisy auto-focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 20th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #1
Tourist

XL2 noisy auto-focus

Just picked up my copy and find a few oddities. The auto-focus can be heard running all the time, even when focus is not shifting. It is quite noticeable and I think you can even see it registering on the levels. Anyone else struck this?

Also, the EVF has two dead pixels - what's the dead pixel warranty on these? The viewfinder will not self-support - you set it to the angle you want and it just slowly sags. I can't see any obvious means to tighten this.

Any fellow sufferers out there?
Old January 20th, 2005, 01:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: XL2 noisy auto-focus

I haven't noticed a lot of auto-focus noise. I barely even notice it when manually focusing. I think the zoom noise is significantly worse on the XL2.

About the viewfinder: I had the exact same problem at first (the lack of self-support), but after about a week or so it just sort of went away. I think Canon really greases up the joint before shipping it out of the factory, but it gets a little stickier as time goes on. It might have a lot to do with surrounding weather conditions too. I'm sure it would stay where you put it much better in cold temperatures than it would in hot temperatures.

That really sucks about the EVF display though. I've heard fixing dead pixels can be a costly repair. Not sure what the warranty is on that, however.
Brent Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Jeff, are you sure the noise is from the autofocus? I haven't got my XL2 yet but I own a few Canon EF lenses with stabilizer. My experience is that the stabilizer is noisier than the autofocus and whats more important, the stabilizer works all the time.

Try switching off the stabilizer and listen if the noise is gone.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:50 AM   #4
Tourist

I tried all the lens functions and it definitely only stops the noise if I turn the auto-focus off. I even sat it on a tripod to make sure it was absolutely still, and it didn't help.
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

This is quite strange since the zoom and image stabilization should be much more noisy than the focus.

Are you using the 20x zoom lens? Where did you buy the camera? Seems like your camera has some interesting quirks.
Brent Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

are you guys talking about these noises being recorded to tape? Are they heard when palying the tape back? If so, is it only when using the onboard mic?
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I had on a pair of headphones the other day and could definitely hear the Zoom. It is unacceptably loud. I don't know about the auto focus because I have never used it. Luckily I use lavs and a boom for sound so I rarely use the on camera mic.
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #8
Major Player

The Zoom noise has always been there. Instead of a warranty or retrofit, Canon offered owners to buy an isolator to partially remedy.
But! Since this is a pro device, it is assumed that you will not be using the on board mic.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders