XL2 color LCD viewfinder - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 6th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #166
Major Player

that shouldn't happen - it should be stiff enough to stay positioned where you leave it. I don't know if there's a user adjustable screw to tighten anywhere, but I would imagine Canon would fix it pretty quickly, or, if you're the type of person that likes/is good at taking things apart (and putting them back together), I'm sure it can't be that hard to find something in there that you can tighten to prevent it from slipping.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #167
Tourist

Canon will fix it

I had that problem, so I took it to Canon and they fixed it. The viewfinder stays put. It was under warranty however. I imagine it would be expensive if you took it to them and it wasn't. For sure over $100, so it might not be worth it if you have to pay.
Nick Rycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #168
Major Player

I have always had this little problem and it never bugged me. Also, it says in the Manual to put the EVF down when not in use. So there! :P
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #169
Regular Crew

XL2 viewfinder problem

Thanks all for your comments...the fact that a few others have experienced this, and that Canon can correct it makes me feel better.Ill just wait to have it corrected when it goes to Canon for sercice in a few months...I dont want to open that viewfinder , and there are no visible screws to tighten on the outside.
Peter Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #170
Major Player

Coincidentally, a year ago when I got my XL2 it did the same thing, not too drastic but enough to be annoying. Well, I couldn't be without it due to production so I just dealt with it. Well, this past weekend while shooting it dawned on me that it no longer sagged when it was at a parrallel position to the ground. I guess I never really noticed it as I usually shoot with a tripod with the viewfinder at a 45 degree angle. Anyhow, I do recollect reading on this forum somebody stating that after a certain amount of usage it will tighten up. Take it for what it's worth. I would recommend you send it in though as the sagging on my XL2 was minimal.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #171
Major Player

Actually, come to think of it... mine has stopped too...

Strange..
Old September 10th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #172
Major Player

Viewfinder ... the best?

Today for 10 minutes was my first try out of XL2. I only intended to check out the viewfinder but a well informed salesman kept filling me with basic technical info as I was checking it out. The quality of image in the viewfinder trembled at high zoom when the IS was turned off ... but with IS turned on the steadiness & clarity was quite remarkable ... I could easily read 0.5inch print at 5 metres handheld ... even with a tripod I couldn't do that with XM2 (GL2). He explained that the IS was optical not digital. Anybody like to explain how that applies in relation to viewfinders? I found the size of the frame in the viewfinder about 25% larger as well. Sorry I don't have pixels or actual measurements to compare ... Does anyone know from experience ...

which cams under $10,000 have the best viewfinder?
which cams have the biggest viewfinders?
Is the XLH1 viewfinder an improvement on XL2 ...

I need to get some views on that please as most of my shooting is run 'n gun....
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #173
Major Player

Optical IS referes toa function of the lens, not the VF. The lens has an element suspended in a fluid which corrects camera shake to a certain extent. The VF is jsut showing you what is going to tape.

The EVF on the Canon XL2 is very nice, if not a little small. You can buy a Canon FU1000 which is a black and white, CRT viewfinder which will make focusing a little better but it is a drain on batteries. Make sure the diopter in the stock VF (that little focusing adjustment on the eye cup) is done properly so you are not straining you eye to focus.

The XLH1's VF has higher res, but you need that for a higher res camera.

Anything else?
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #174
Trustee

I bought an Fu-1000 monochrome viewfinder, which helps my 58 year old eyes focus easier. But there are two negatives:
1-Big drain on batteries
2-You have no color reference.If, for example, you screwed up your white balance, you wouldn't know about it till later when viewing through a tv or monitor.(I've done this).
I'm thinking about getting a small on cam nonitor for colr and wb reference.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #175
Major Player

another view

I've just come across this in Gabriel Fleming's view in his report on XLH1 ...

<<<<< The Viewfinder:
The viewfinder is without a doubt the camera's greatest weakness. It's like evaluating the subtle brush strokes of a Van Gogh using your cell phone screen. Here are the main things to watch out for:

-The Whole Image: Most prosumer viewfinders don't show the outer edges of the recorded frame, but this viewfinder crops out more than most. You can't see 5% or more of what you're actually shooting on the left, right, top and bottom of the frame (the top and bottom of the display is pretty close to a 1.85 aspect ratio! In a 16:9 camera!) So give a big margin for the boom and know what's on the edges of your frame. >>>>>

......... any comments on that please?
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #176
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell
I've just come across this in Gabriel Fleming's view in his report on XLH1 ...

<<<<< The Viewfinder:
The viewfinder is without a doubt the camera's greatest weakness. It's like evaluating the subtle brush strokes of a Van Gogh using your cell phone screen. Here are the main things to watch out for:
Couldn't agree more, evaluating focus and detail on an LCD viewfinder is a nightmare. I don't understand why Canon opted for this on the XL-2 instead of the traditional CRT version ?
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #177
Major Player

The Canon FU-1000 B&W CRT viewfinder is the best viewfinder. Because it's b&W, you can crank the peaking and things will snap into focus pretty well, plus it underscans, so you see the entire frame. I hate the stock LCD viewfinder and never used it. Having a color monitor on hand helps with color issues.
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #178
Trustee

I love the Canon XL series cameras but the viewfinders suck, they are terrible. Terrible for focus, terrible for contrast, terrible for color. They are good for framing, nothing more. The ONLY cameras in this class that have really useable LCDs/EVF are the Sony HDV cams. I dont particularly care for them in general but they got the LCD right. As for the DVX, it is OK at best, the 100B lcd is useable but the HVX LCD is HORRIFIC! Lesson, get an external monitor!

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #179
Trustee

Brendan, the FU-1000 viewfinder is one of my best buy of accessories beside a heavy tripod. Maintain critical focus when objects move forth and back is very essential especially to wildlife filming. when I use external lenses without any autofocus the viewfinder help me a lot to achieve good focus.

Note that some have experienced issues with the FU-1000 viewfinder (blown fuses).

The batteries drain quickly, I use the BP945 which provide the camcorder and the viewfinder enough power for at least 1.5 hours (average in summer time). I use to have 4 - BP945 with me, and this is enough for one day of shooting, at least for me!
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #180
Major Player

Thank you all for your observations and advice.

FU-1000 seems to be a winner but having seen a picture of it I must conclude that it only works with XL2 & XL1, not with XM2(GL2) and that it's a sizeable accessory which probably means that it would not be practical for run and gun. Has anyone used it successfully without a tripod? (I'm beginning to think I'm the only one on the planet videographing without a tripod! And I thought it was my body odour!)
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders