New from Japan: Canon RC-72 Ratio Converter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 27th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

New from Japan: Canon RC-72 Ratio Converter

Howdy from Texas,

This looks interesting: Ben Matsunaga is reporting on his XL Style site that Canon is offering their own 72mm wide-angle adapter (they're calling it the RC-72 Ratio Converter). It appears to be a 0.8x and there's a photo on Ben's blog at http://www.xlstyle.jp/blog/index.php.

Of course, there's no word yet on when (and if) Canon USA or any part of the western hemisphere will have it available. Since this hasn't been officially announced stateside, don't even think of asking for a price, either! Suggested retail price from Canon Inc. is 50,000 yen, which at today's exchange rate is about $485 or so.

Ben's site is in Japanese, and the best I'm able to discern from his notes is that the RC-72 will be compatible with the 20x L IS lens (which needs it the most) and the 16x IS II and 16x black Manual lens. Apparantly it is not compatible with the 3x wide angle lens; I'm assuming you could mount the converter but the resulting image would not be usable. Pure conjecture on my part though.

This piece is listed on Canon Inc's XL2 Accessory page in Japan. All the way at the bottom of this list is a link for the RC-72 which opens a little pop-up window with a small photo and a few specs. Again, at this time, no word on price or availability in the U.S., but it looks like Century Optics has some competition now, eh? Hmm.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Trustee

Hey Chris,
Any chance you can get some of that data translated and post here? I can't seem to make heads or tails out of it using any of the free translators online.

Thanks!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #3
Trustee

just what we need...another piece of glass to make that 20x even more front heavy!!. Actually, if it will hold focus from wide to zoom...this might me a nice add on. Thanks for the research chris.

barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Marty, I had the same problem. All I can say is now you know all I know about it.

Barry, I'm wondering the same thing: how much does it weigh? I think that will be the biggest question anybody shooting with the 20x lens will have.

Old January 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #5
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Goyette : just what we need...another piece of glass to make that 20x even more front heavy!!. Actually, if it will hold focus from wide to zoom...this might me a nice add on. Thanks for the research chris.

barry -->>>

Just to clarify I am only having issues with the Century Wide angle holding sharp focus when I have the iris wide open. If I can get down to f4.0-5 it seems to stay sharp. Of course for me the entire reason I got it was to make some of the event videography I do easier. In better than half of these events I need to have the iris open all the way to properly expose the shot and sometimes (gasp) I even have to use gain. In these cases I have seen shots ruined as the softness around the edges is too extreme. and the VF does not really show this.

I am very intrigued by this Canon adapter.
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #6
Trustee

Marty

actually my comment was relative to the canon 3x...which I own...which seems to be troubled with backfocus problems (that at least one source has claimed can't be fixed).

Barry
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #7
Trustee

Have you even tried yet?

I know that you have been putting it off since you don't want to part with the Xl2 but I have heard of a lot of people who love that lens and have no issues.

Do you use the 16x manual much? I know it has no OIS but how much does that affect the wider shots....you know when you are not zoomed? And is the ability to focus amzingly easier? I personally still dislike the servo driven lens however I have learned to operate pretty good now. But I am looking for more input on the 16x manual.

Thanks!
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #8
Trustee

Marty

my 16x is my favorite lens...for most work I don't find the OIS necessary...and being a still photographer, I like to focus manually. Is it amazingly easier...no...it's just that it feels like a lens. The 20x focuses just fine.

Regarding the 3x...no I haven't tried getting it fixed yet. Been busy with work and travel...I don't use the 3x much...so it isn't a big worry to me. I've heard from more than a few people with this problem, and have yet to hear a resolution (not that there isn't one....I just haven't had time to deal with it myself)....someday... ahhh.

Barry
Old February 4th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #9
Tourist

Hi all,

I just read through this. Thank you for checking my site.

Yes, Canon Inc. had released 0.8x Ratio Converter in Japan on Jan.26th.
This can be used with 20xzoom, 16xzoom and 16xmanual lenses. But, this is not so exciting item. Because this converter works only at 4:3 ratio mode. (Only support the 4:3 image circle.) If you use this at 16:9 mode, you will get cut off around the corner.

I don't know how useful this converter is.

Ben.
Ben Matsunaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks, Ben...

I was only recently able to determine what this thing does from the Japanese to English translation. It is a ratio converter which will let you shoot in 4:3 mode at the wider fields of view previously available only in 16:9 mode.

Do you have any idea how much it weighs, Ben? Thanks,

Old February 6th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #11
Tourist

Chris,

It's about 290g.
The converter is build-to-order manufacturing. So, i have never tried yet.
Ben Matsunaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Thank you, Ben!

Old February 6th, 2005, 11:19 PM   #13
Major Player

"It is a ratio converter which will let you shoot in 4:3 mode at the wider fields of view previously available only in 16:9 mode."

Chris, try as I might, I can't figure out what you mean here. It seems like you're saying there are fields of view (are we talking aspect ratios or angles of view in degrees?) wider than 4:3 but not as wide as 16:9.

I know, ratios are relative & their units are arbitrary. But can you rephrase this?
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Okay, how about if I rephrase it like this:

The RC-72 Ratio Converter is basically a .8x wide angle adapter which works only in 4:3 mode. If you have the RC-72 mounted on the XL2 and you switch to 16:9, you'll see some serious vignetting at the left and right sides of the frame where the converter's barrel intrudes into the field of view.

The purpose of the RC-72 is to allow you to shoot in 4:3 and achieve the wider fields of view that were previously available only at 16:9. For example, using the 20x lens at full wide in 16:9 mode yields a field of view equal to a focal length of 42.3mm in 35mm terms. Switch to 4:3 mode and it's a lot narrower, now 51.8mm. With the RC-72 Ratio Converter mounted, and shooting in 4:3 mode, the field of view of the 20x at full wide now goes to 41.4mm in 35mm terms, which is roughly what you had in 16:9 mode.

This piece of glass offers a way to shoot in 4:3 and maintain the wider fields of view you were enjoying at 16:9. That's the idea behind it anyway, as far as I understand it. Remember this thing doesn't even exist yet as far as Canon USA is concerned, and what I'm telling you is based only on my conversation with Ben, and the translations from the Japanese product description.

Old February 7th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #15
Major Player

Okay, I get it. Sounds like a cool add-on!
John Sandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders