DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   FU-1000 b/w viewfinder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/38657-fu-1000-b-w-viewfinder.html)

Donald Pittelli January 31st, 2005 08:44 PM

thanks Mr Papert

this thing has some nice features . i like the adjustment for the eyepease tention and the little spot lite .it adds some weight to the front though . dp

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2005 12:14 AM

Ken Tanaka's review is geared toward using it with the XL1S, but most of his article (except for the unnecessary power converter) applies to the XL2.

Mark Sasahara February 1st, 2005 02:03 AM

The lens light and tally on/off are handy too. The lens light was very helpful while shooting in a darkened studio. Just before my camera died. I'll post about that later. More Mark waaah, waaahing :~).

I'm left eyed, so I'm looking through the finder with my left eye and loking at my lens with my right eye. I put chart tape on my 16x manual lens focus ring, make my marks and rack focus back and forth as my subject moves around.

Sometimes it's good to turn the tally light off, so people don't know you're rolling. Be sure to cover the light on the back of the handle too.

Donald Pittelli February 1st, 2005 05:21 AM

thanks guys

thanks Mr Hurd and Mr Sasahara this viewfinder is easy to get fond of . i wish i would have seen Mr Tanakas review before i opened the box . it seems it should be easy enough to tape some added notes for the xl2 on the fu1000 box . but hay i figured it out anyway . thanks again dp

Richard Alvarez February 1st, 2005 08:47 AM

Yes, its a geat viewfinder. The color evf is nice for the 'waist level' shots, but I am definately spoiled by the sharpness and ease of viewing on the FU-1000. Charles is right about bumping the brightness nobs. I dissassemble the camera to pack it away, and twice I've bumped the brightness down to zero while reassembling it. Freaked me out.

Mark Sasahara February 1st, 2005 01:12 PM

Yeah, the first time I mounted the FU-1000 and tried to plug it into the XL2 was a comedy of errors. I almost freaked when it wouldn't fit in the socket. Blind boy finally realized that there was a second port. Sigh of relief.

The power converter thing. Heh, I think the cord was too short or something. I got very frustrated and then after about ten minutes, I figured out I didn't need it. Another sigh of relief.

It would be nice if they tossed a peice of paper in the box with notes for plugging into the XL2. Save people a lot of aggravation.

Does anyone from Canon read this stuff? I know Jan Crittenden from Panasonic is a regular-she totally kicks ass.

Donald Pittelli February 2nd, 2005 04:27 AM

thanks again

i am sure theese tips will help . i was reading other thread on the master fuse thing .sure hope this view finder is not the problem . now i dont come close to the amount of use you guys do . maybe 3-4 hours a weak . well thanks dp

Mike Bluestone March 15th, 2005 09:56 AM

fu-1000 power consumption

Anybody know if the fu-1000 and XL2 combination is better than the XL1S for power consumption. Someone suggested to me that on the XL2, it uses only a little more power than the color viewfinder. I find that hard to believe, but maybe????

Chris Hurd March 16th, 2005 12:37 AM

See http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article09.php

Mike Bluestone March 16th, 2005 02:52 AM

Thank you for pointing that article out to me

Bruce S. Yarock June 3rd, 2005 11:40 AM

Monochrome viewfinder problem

I mistakenly posted in the xl1 forum, so excsue the cross post. I got my fu-1000 today, and I really like it. I was unable to hook up the power adaptor, but was able to run it with my Anton Bauer. I called Canon, and the guy in customer service told me that the adaptor just slides in. I can't get it to attach.
has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks
Bruce S. Yarock

Bruce S. Yarock June 3rd, 2005 11:56 AM

I just tried a Canon battery without the adaptor and IT WORKS!!! This viewfinder is beautifull...I can really see what I'm trying to focus. So the when using the fu-1000 on the XL2 (as opposed to the xl1/s), you don't need the battery adaptor, and the viewfinder shows battey usage. I love it.
Bruce Yarock

Richard Alvarez June 3rd, 2005 12:59 PM

Bruce,

That is correct. When using the viewfinder on the XL2 you simply plug it into the monochrome port, instead of the color port. There is no need for the adapter to go into the battery well.

It is a great viewfinder, isn't it? Nice and sharp.

Chris Hurd June 3rd, 2005 01:36 PM

Just to be clear, the power adapter is NOT NEEDED when using this viewfinder with the XL2.

Bruce S. Yarock June 3rd, 2005 06:39 PM

Richard,
Thanks again for the info. I love this thing, and I know it's gonna make focusing much easier. I tried calibrating it following Ken Tanaka's article, but I'm not sure if I got it right. Any suggestions?

Chris,
That sure is nice that the adaptor isn't needed, and also that the viewfinder shows battery usage.
Anyone need a spare battery adaptor.....?

Bruce Yarock