Why won't my Sony or JVC Play my Canon XL1 and XL2 Tapes ?!? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 9th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Mike Rehmus is of the opinion that brand media plays nicely with the same brand hardware. If you shoot mostly Panasonic tapes, get a Panasonic deck. Sony tapes, Sony deck. I agree with his advice. Sounds odd but it works.

By the way, I'm thinking of moving this discussion to our Long Black Line forum since it's more to do with tape than the XL2. So if it gets moved, that's the reason.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #17
Major Player

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the feedback !

I am not sure what the topic is about anymore, but my continued testing will unfold the truth.

One reason that you may want to keep this thread here, is that I am in contact with Canon Tech Support and they may have some relevant information for other XL2 owners, which I will post to this thread.

Thanks Again !!
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #18
Contributor

Anthony, try wrapping your cameras in aluminum foil --grounded if possible-- and repeat the tests. This should help block RFI. If it works, perhaps you can then sue the broadcaster for the expense of building a Faraday cage around your house or something like that.
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #19
Major Player

Hello Ignacio,

I was considering building one around my equipment, but I'm looking for a farm and will be moving soon, so I will put off enriching any attorneys at this time....

Ooops, one of my partners is an attorney, I better be careful :-)
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #20
Contributor

It seems this topic is now about RFI affecting DV equipment.
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #21
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Anthony Marotti : Hello Guys :-)

* It appears that at 4:00 AM my cameras all work correctly, but at 6:30 AM, I get problems where the audio just stops while the video plays without dropout (the canons actually playback fine at 6:30 AM).

* I have four 50,000 Watt transmission antennas about 150' from my location :-o

I am betting that mid-day when I run these tests, the audio noise will be present with video dropout. I hope this is the case as it will mean that my gear is not malfunctioning, but that the high concentration of radio energy may be interfering with my gears error correction capabilities.

-->>>

Anthony,

That is very possible. You see, in the US, AM stations must do 1 of 3 things at night to prevent interference to other stations in other markets. They must go off the air, reduce power, or go directional.

Yours is a case of a clear channel (50kw) AM station switching form directional to non-directional at 6:30AM which, if you are paying attention is the current time of local sunrise. That switchover will occur at different times during the year but will be at local sunrise and sunset. That's why there are 4 towers. They are switched into a phased array at night to produce a directional signal. If you really are no more than 150 feet from the towers cranking out 50kw, it's a wonder anything electronic works in your home. That's one heck of an rf energy field your sitting in! You should install all flourescent lighting in your home because they would likey illuminate themselves and save you money on electric bills.

If your theory is correct, you should have no problems with your gear after the sun goes down. Boy, is that last sentence a loaded statement or what? ;D

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #22
Major Player

Hello Gregg

Well I am back to square one :-(

I have been working with the guys at Canon and we came up with that possibility together and it not only made sense, but it appeared to time out correctly.

Unfortunately, last night/or I mean this morning at around 3:30 AM, my Sony wouldn't play the tapes again :-(

This is weird because the morning before they played without a hitch. And it isn't just the Sony because my Canons seemed to have some playback issues too ??it is now 10:50 AM and I shot some footage on my XL1, XL2 and Sony at about 7:30 AM and guess what......

Now everything seems to work fine ?????

It could be a combination of RF Interference, Tape Quality, and maybe that Voodoo curse my X-wife put on me.... But I will not rest until I find out what is going on !!!!

Thanks for the continued feedback !

PS very interesting explanation of the broadcast transmission :-)
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #23
Contributor

> You should install all flourescent lighting in your
> home because they would likey illuminate themselves
> and save you money on electric bills.

Cool!

Wouldn't want my body exposed to that 24x7 though. And some of us make a fuss about cell phones!
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #24
Major Player

Bizzar.... Even the tapes that gave me the worst problems are now playing/and capturing without a glitch..........

I am going Nuts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 10th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #25
Contributor

Perhaps a lawyer from the radio station read this and they immediatley dropped the power output!

Serioulsy though, remember the transmission is directional and can be affected by atmospheric conditions. It is possible that your home is not in the intended path of the transmission and, under ideal conditions RFI might be below the tolerance for your cameras. Most likely if you drive away and check all the cameras somewhere else they will ALWAYS work well.

Of course if you recorded some tapes in your home then the signal on them might be permanently out of tolerance or contain drop-outs, but that's a whole other issue.
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #26
Major Player

If the array is only 150' away he's going to be in the near field and won't see much effect from the phasing. A primitive field strength tester can be made from a loop of wire and a neon bulb. If the bulb glows there's a good chance of trouble for unprotected electronics. Checking stuff out somewhere else is a good suggestion.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #27
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by A. J. deLange : If the array is only 150' away he's going to be in the near field and won't see much effect from the phasing. A primitive field strength tester can be made from a loop of wire and a neon bulb. If the bulb glows there's a good chance of trouble for unprotected electronics. Checking stuff out somewhere else is a good suggestion. -->>>

He had been reporting problems during daylight hours which is when the station would go back to an omnidirectional pattern. I used to have a 40 meter dipole stretched across the roof of my home and everytime I keyed my ham transmitter in CW mode, I was getting the 'incandecent' bulb in the hallway to glow faintly. Hehe..it scared the ***t out of my wife. Remember, this is AM broadcast we're talking and the whole tower is the antenna! No elevating the signal above the roofline with a ground plane on top of a tower like FM stations.

But, it sounds like the pattern hasn't held. I also like Ignacio's suggestion of moving the equipment elsewhere to see how it behaves.

Well Anthony, looks like you've got more investigating to do. But, I am convinced that you are getting hit with some type of interference.

good luck,

-gb-
Old February 11th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #28
Major Player

Hey guys, Thanks again for the ongoing support, it is comforting, and much appreciated.

I am doing the "Drive Away" test today!

Thanks Again Guys !!!
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:36 AM   #29
Wrangler

Quote: It could be a combination of RF Interference, Tape Quality, and maybe that Voodoo curse my X-wife put on me.... But I will not rest until I find out what is going on !!!!

Anthony,

If it still messes up while you drive away test, then you definitely want to look into that 'voodoo curse by the ex-wife' possibility. As we all know, those things have NO geographical boundaries. Hehe...sorry, couldn't resist. After all, as a seasoned technician, I try to look under every rock no matter how innocent it looks.

good luck!

=gb=
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #30
Major Player

Hello Greg :-)

Well I guess it is the Voodoo :-(

The weird thing is that the Sony works sometimes flawlessly, and all of the other cameras work flawlessly most of the times, but at times they all misbehave ????

I don't quite get it, but my efforts to isolate the problem and find repeatability have failed :-(

What scares me is when my 2 Canons screw up, because I will be using them on a corporate shoot soon and do not want faulty equipment to make my job more difficult than it needs to be. My other equipment is booked, and budget is tapped, so I have to go with this equipment package.

I am hoping that this anomaly is somehow environmentally related and that in my worst case scenario, I just have to do my captures off-site.

Thanks for the levity, it helps!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders