XL2/DVRigXL + VZ-Rock... good friends? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 10th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2/DVRigXL + VZ-Rock... good friends?

Hi all,

New to the XL2, I just ordered a DVRigXL, and now I want a remote lanc controller. I looked at the Zoe and it is a bit too pricey for my liking.... besides, the form factor does not look like something I would be comfortable with.

SO, the question is, anyone have experience with the XL2 and the VZ-Rock?

Does the "Push Auto Focus" button on the VZ work with the XL2?
How about the zoom speed?

FWIW: Having been a long-time XL1 user, I am an AVID "Push Auto Focus" button user on the older Canon 16x lens that came with the XL1. I am seriously unhappy with the 20x new "click-slide Auto Focus" button. It is needlessly difficult to do, especially for my big hands. I am really hoping that the VZ-Rock's "push-auto-focus" button works.

Thanks in advance.
Matt
Matthew C. Abourezk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Rats..... I guess it doesn't matter now... I bought the Rock (due to time constraints) and guess what? The push auto focus doesn't work. It says in the small print of the manual that it does not work with any lens that has a physical slide switch for A/M focus. Rats twice.

This means my left hand will be making a trip to the lens constantly, even when mounted on the XL rig....

rats x3.
Matthew C. Abourezk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree, I have a controller from Studio 1 that I purchased for that utility. The guy at Studio 1 told me that it might not work, and that it was a function of firmware. I don't know if he had an inside track or was guessing, but it seems that if you could control this function any other way than the button on the lens, you might find the button somewhere on the camera.

It would be nice if someone from Canon could let us know if it is possible at all, and when it might be introduced if it is??

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders