DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony VX2100 vs Canon XL2 - Quality comparison (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/39279-sony-vx2100-vs-canon-xl2-quality-comparison.html)

Adeel Malik February 11th, 2005 11:08 AM

Sony VX2100 vs Canon XL2 - Quality comparison

Hello guys,

This is my first time on the forum, would be nice to meet new people here, well my question is, is there a big difference between the sony vx2100 and canon xl2 in video quality, cuz i already own a vx2100 but im thinking of buying an xl2 if there is a difference in the image quality, so can anyone explain on this issue, i would really appreciate it, thanks :)

adeel

Zack Birlew February 11th, 2005 11:21 AM

The XL2 should be a lot better, but as with every other thread on similar topics, there are some other things to consider when choosing between a VX2100 and the XL2. Overall the XL2 does have a better picture (more resolution) and has many frame rates to choose from (24p, 30p, and 60i). The XL2 would be better suited to an indie filmmaker while the VX2100 is better suited for sports and documentaries. There's also the issue of the XL2's form factor, you might need to get a permit or something when shooting out and about as it's a big camera and is obviously a lot more noticeable than a smaller camera like the VX2100.

Adeel Malik February 11th, 2005 12:32 PM

souunds great... do u know any site where i can find video samples or stills from the cannon xl2

Zack Birlew February 11th, 2005 07:50 PM

Well, from what I've seen, you just need to dig through the threads here and on www.DVXUser.com

Nothing really good has been done yet. The best I've seen is the XL2-vs.DVX side-by-side video that's on DVXUser.com somewhere.

Lloyd Coleman February 11th, 2005 11:18 PM

Jack,

I am curious about your comment that the VX2100 if better suited for sports than the XL2. I currently shoot sports (mostly football) with a GL2, but am looking for a second camera. I love the Sony low light ability, but really think for what I do the 20x zoom on the GL2 outweighs the low light capability of the VX2100. I am considering the XL2 over other cameras for this same reason (great zoom). I know the XL2 has all kinds of great settings for the Indie filmaker that don't interest me, but I love that great zoom and picture and am close to getting one for sports.

Please tell my why another camera might be better so I don't spend a large chunk of change on a camera that I might not be happy with.

Thank you.

Zack Birlew February 12th, 2005 09:39 AM

Oh, well don't get me wrong, the XL2 will do sports and do them well but the VX2100 would just be easier to move around and by sports, I mean a wide range of things like skateboarding and other sports that might require tight close up shots in small spaces or if you're shooting from within a crowd. But, the XL2 can have even better zoom capabilities with the EF adapter. Otherwise the XL2 would be great for sports and everything else, but it just depends on what you want to do. Overall the smaller cameras have the ability to get tighter shots with ease.