XL 2 accessories - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 11th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #16
Wrangler

Thanks much, Vence. It is beginning to look like finding one case for both carry-on and grab-n-go (meaning not having to completely break down the camera to fit everything in the case) is not realistic. So I guess on to Plan C:
- small case for carry-on of disassembled camera
and
- med/large case for grab-n-go, that can also be routine checked baggage (with only clothes, etc in it, NOT my camera!)

Happy Friday!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Pete

i have Portabrace CTC-3 from cascademedia and it allows the camera to be packed away without breaking it down. Check it out as it's not huge, just a nice safe fit with room for some extra stuff but not more that tapes and batteries.

Worth a look...

Donie
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #18
Wrangler

Hi Donie. I'd need to be able to get a 3x lens, a couple of microphones, and the other usual small bits in the bag for grab-n-go...but it sounds like you think that the CTC-3 may be slightly too small for all that?

Also, the CTC-3 is very slightly larger than the max carry-on size for most US air carriers. Could probably get away with it almost all of the time, but don't want to deliberately tempt fate.

With the gear I have, it seems that I simply can't do both carry-on and grab-n-go with one case, so I think that I'll probably end up getting two cases, as above.

But many thanks very much for sharing great info on these bags, guys!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:57 AM   #19
Major Player

I have the PortaBrace HK-P3 Hiker Pro back pack. I can fit my XL2 in there completely built, except for the mattebox. Not sure which mic you use, be sure that will fit, or take it off when you pack.

Here's a link
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=194237&is=REG

What's great about the HK-P3 is that you can carry it by hand, or you can unzip the side panel and the backpack straps are revealed. The panel rolls up and is secured with velco. Now you can wear it as a backpack. I have done this and it's great. The rear of the camera sometimes bumps the backpack, but you can always take off the backpack while shooting.

Check out some of the other Porta Brace cases as well. Like the Carry on (CO-PC), Quick Draw and others. Check for actual dimensions on the B&H site, Porta Brace doesn't always have the dimensions listed.

Porta Brace
http://www.portabrace.com/asp/gallery.asp
Old March 12th, 2005, 04:05 AM   #20
Trustee

I bought the Porta Brace "quick draw" and I love it.It's big and heavy, but very practical and protects the viewfinder.You can also carry it without totally closing the top. I can carry the following:
Inside the bag-
xl2
extra lens (3x wa) in it's plastic pouch
Anton Bauer dionic 90 in a small box
Headphones
Frezzi mini fill ina pouch

Lower long pocket-
wind protector for my mic
lens cleaning stuff

side pocket-
Batteries, tapes etc.

rear pocket-
Canon charger
Cables
filter
freazzi softbox(collapsed)

I have a seperate case for my audio stuff, but i guess I could possibly also fit mt wirelss and handheld....
Btw, no one commented on the lanc controller and on cam monitor question.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 09:06 AM   #21
Regular Crew

First of all let me say that the XL2 is not made out of porcelain and will not disintegrate if it takes a knock. There's being careful with your gear and there's being silly!

I use a LowePro Nature Trekker Backpack. It is meant for 35mm camera gear but can easily be configured to carry the XL2, shotgun mike, holder and lots of wire and other crap (essential items) for the camera. It goes on your back, fits as carry-on for flights and looks cool. Unlike Portabrace stuff that looks like it was designed by a blind man with broken fingers.

take care and watch yourself on those mountains!

;op
Old March 12th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #22
Major Player

Don't be dissin' my Porta Brace!

We all have our own preferences.
Old March 12th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #23
Regular Crew

come on..... join the cool club, blue fabric is just so last season!!!

;op

respect M.
Old March 12th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #24
Regular Crew

What do you guys got against the Canon cases?
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I have to agreee with Mark..i have the porta brace quick draw and it is very good at protecting the XL2 and at the same time carries quite a few accessories.. I have the XL2 with battery adapter plate attached, and room for all of my wireless lavs, head phone, 3 BP945 batteries, 9 volts for the mic, carries 5 tapes and room for more! The shoulder strap is the sturdiest I've seen so far in carry bags.
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #26
Major Player

Haven't you heard? Porta Brace blue is the new black!

All the girls in New York city are wearing it with their Ugg Boots :~). No worries, mate.

I must admit I didn't really look at the Lowe Pro backpacks because I thought they were too small. Can you fit the camera, fully built, in the backpack? The main reason for the Portas is that they are big enough that you can keep the camera built, carry extra batteries, tapes, etc and then just whip it out and start shooting.

There's also the safety aspect of the pukey blue fabric: it's kind of ugly and doesn't really stick out and scream "steal me" like some bags and cases do. The less attention you get the better.

Nothing against the Canon case. I just like the backpack concept. I was walking around and doing a bunch of run and gun stuff for a tv pilot and the Porta Brace was perfect for my particular needs.

I have a Pelican case that I will use for shipping, when the time comes, but the camera will be broken down into it's separate components with all the extra bits like filters and such.
Old March 13th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Sadly you can't keep the camera built whilst in the bag, but at least the XL2 is an easy build (currently 45 seconds, blindfolded, under battle field conditions)

:OP

Like you, I love the fact the camera is discreet in the back pack, also in the pack is a Sony mini-cam camcorder for use as a deck, chargers, cables and other gubbins with paperwork in the front slots. They also have a tripod mount for medium size pods (use a manfrotto me-self) Perfect for solo travel and hiking the thing out into the woods.

As for the Canon camera case, it's a great bit of kit but it just screams "STEAL ME I'M EXPENSIVE"

;o

M.
Old March 13th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #28
Trustee

Fitting everything in...

I’m not (yet) an Xl2 owner, but the following look inside my camera bags may give some help, as all three variations of the XL are of a similar size.

The nice thing about the Canon XL1/XL1s/XL2 series of cameras (I mainly use the earlier XL1s) is that everything can be broken down to fit easily inside different bags. I tend to swap and change, depending whether I'm taking just the basic body plus 16X, or extra lenses etc.

The LowePro Nature Trekker Backpack is a wonderful bag for all types of camera equipment. The XL1s plus 16X manual lens will just fit inside this bag without breaking down, but I tend to use the LowePro Nature Trekker for all my main SLR camera equipment. With a LowePro Lens Case attached to the side, I'm able to fit a complete Nikon F5 system, with bodies, 3-5 lenses - including a Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 and Nikkor 600mm, plus flash, remotes, cables etc inside, and a Manfrotto tripod clamped to the outside of the bag using a LowePro tripod holder.
The LowePro backpack generally is my hand luggage for flights, so on my next flight I will taking an XL1s body, plus 16X lens, plus Optex, plus Nikon F5 and 300mm in the Lowerpro on the plane.

My normal bag for carrying the camcorder gear on location, is a large Kata XL1 bag. It is normally stuffed to the brim with various cables, batteries, filters, Kata rain-cover, chamois leathers (for cleaning optics) , Sony headphones, lens brush, MiniDV tapes, instruction books, Canon VL-1-Li light + rechargeable batteries, WL-D3000 remote control (or Canon VE-100 remote Editor), and Les Bosher Nikkor Lens adapter. A Canon MA-200 Shoulder Pad/XLR adapter + metal extension mount for the Canon Dual Charger slips nicely inside one compartment, as does an Optex .7X Wide Angle Optic plus fittings. The XL1s body fitted with Canon 16X Manual lens, including lens shade clamped to the front, and a Light Waves Systems Isolator SI-XL1 screwed to the viewfinder holder, fits nicely in the main compartment without breaking down. The Shotgun microphone – encased inside a Reinhardt Wind Sock, and clamped to a Light Wave Systems Universal Mini-Mount, is protected inside a Camera Care Systems Lens bag, and fits snugly beside the camera in the main compartment; along with a Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF that just squeezes in beside the camcorder.
When I’m using both my still photography and movie equipment at the same time, the big Nikkor 300mm lens goes beside an even larger 600mm f/5.6 ED-IF lens inside the main LowePro bag. This then leaves more room inside my Kata bag for an extra Pro padded Shoulder Rest - which screws into the tripod mount of the XL1s body. The main Manfrotto tripod + heavy duty Ball-head clips nicely to the top lid of the Kata bag. The Kata raincover folds neatly inside one of the big pockets of the Kata bag.

I have a large Pro-version of the Kata raincover, that completely covers the XL1s body - with a 16X Manual lens, plus OPtex optic, plus MA-200 XLR Shoulder mount, plus Canon Dual battery charger – all fitted together, so that I can continue to work through rain and snow without breaking down any of the essential equipment.

http://www.globetrotters-quest.com/
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #29
Major Player

Great info Tony. I miss having a 300 2.8.

Just a general reminder to folks considering cases and bags, that the XL2 is longer than the XL1/XL1S.
Old March 13th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Good point Mark, I was going to mention that myself as I read through Tony's mail. I had to sell the bag I used for the Xl1s when I had it as the XL2 is of a similar size to the XL1s with an MA100 on there. So if you can fit that in the case chances are the XL2 will fit. Otherwise forget it. Plus the steel bracket that comes with the XL2 is screwed to the main body so you will not want to have to remove that either.

Tony, you have a lot of gear. I pity you if you have to use it all the one day ;) Or do you have a personal slave to carry it all for you ;-)

Donie

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders