DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Trailer shot with XL2 posted (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/39614-trailer-shot-xl2-posted.html)

Kenneth Irvine February 16th, 2005 01:26 PM

Trailer shot with XL2 posted

I am shooting a documentary on the XL2 about protestors here in Ottawa (the nation's capital, for those from away), and I have cut together a trailer for it.

If you would like to download this trailer, please send an email to farhaven40@hotmail.com and I will send you a link to my xdrive shared folder.

It is a DVD, about 200 mbytes in size, and can be played with any standard DVD software straight from your hard drive (just choose the VIDEO_TS.IFO file when prompted).

I had a chance to see it on an HDTV monitor last night, and the XL2 is very impressive indeed. I think you will agree.

Enjoy! Ken

Pete Bauer February 16th, 2005 05:14 PM

Kenneth,
Thanks -- those who are considering the XL2 will no doubt like to see what its images look like on a DVD.

Johan Manders February 17th, 2005 03:37 AM

I just mailed!
Normally we are just able to get crappy compressed movies, now a dvd quality one.
I hope to see it soon!

Mike Hardcastle February 17th, 2005 01:50 PM

Terrific footage, looks very clean and sharp, thanks for posting.......

Kenneth Irvine February 18th, 2005 09:20 AM

In response to specs used on the shoot, I used the 20x lens for everything, and all sound was recorded with the camera mic (including the rich, full drums on the track, recorded live at a demonstration).

My aperture and shutter speed settings were all over the place, I just tried to feel my way through the viewfinder for different situations which worked well for the most part. Unfortunately I didn't have time to write down anything.

Frame rate was 60i for everything, shot in 16x9, captured and cut in Premiere Pro 1.5, encoded to mpeg2 with Canopus Procoder 2 using master dvd setting.

I can't say enough about Procoder 2. The Adobe encoder packaged with Premiere doesn't even come close in terms of picture quality.

The DVD build was done in Adobe Encore DVD 1.5.

Kenneth Irvine February 20th, 2005 10:45 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Hardcastle : Terrific footage, looks very clean and sharp, thanks for posting....... -->>>

Thanks a lot Mike. I appreciate any feedback.

If anyone else has any comments (good or bad) it would be very useful to the making of this film. We are still shooting and editing, and constructive criticism is always a must at any stage.

To be more specific, (and you don't have to see the trailer to have an opinion), is a film about protestors something people want to see? I'm still not sure.

Thanks, Ken

Travis Maynard February 20th, 2005 11:35 PM

I enjoyed the trailer alot. The little woman that was bouncing around at speed that are beyond me was kinda dazzling...I guess you can say. She was having fun I suppose.

From the trailer I am interested in seeing more.

Kenneth Irvine February 21st, 2005 07:19 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Travis Maynard : I enjoyed the trailer alot. The little woman that was bouncing around at speed that are beyond me was kinda dazzling...I guess you can say. She was having fun I suppose.

From the trailer I am interested in seeing more. -->>>

She was a riot!

Jonathan Jones February 23rd, 2005 08:43 PM

Thanks so much for the opportunity to check out your work in progress. The footage looked great - very clean- and so was the sound - pretty impressive with the onboard. Really dazzled by the bouncing girl - and I very much liked the way the music worked also. The only thing I would say was that the pot bit was a little distracting considering that everything was starting to sweep into motion and emotion very effectively and then suddently a little break for a quick chuckle. (it was funny) Just a little distracting. Otherwise, I would very much like to check it out when it is finished. I don't think I have every really seen a full-fledged piece of work on this subject so kudos to you for making the effort. Thanks again.
-Jon

Kenneth Irvine February 25th, 2005 09:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback Jon, much appreciated. I know what you're saying about the pot section, but the trailer was becoming an ad for an issue film, and we felt it needed to pull back. The music was also a tad on the head lyrically, and we wanted to counter that as well.

But I think you're comments are right on the money. Is the film a distanced, passive, ironic look at a variety of individuals and causes, or should it take sides and commit? We'll see :)

Thanks again, I will keep you posted on more posts.

Ken