DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   wide angle adaptor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/39876-wide-angle-adaptor.html)

Jon Turner February 21st, 2005 10:21 AM

wide angle adaptor

looking for a .7x or .5x wide-angle adaptor for my XL2.

which do you use, and which do you recommend? ...and which should i avoid?!

i'm looking for the best quality - i don't mind paying for the best, as long as it IS the best and not just a famous brand - but obviously the fact that I'm looking for an adaptor and not a dedicated lens tells you that i'm on a restricted budget.

p.s. i don't mind if its non-zoom through - i'm shooting in 16:9 so don't see the point in widening anything other than full tele.

John Sandel February 21st, 2005 11:04 AM

Jon, have a look at this thread.

Marty Hudzik February 21st, 2005 11:13 AM

there is some contradiction in your statement. It will be hard to get the absolute best and you don't mind paying what it is worth but yet you are on a budget so you aren't willing to buy a full lens, only an adapter.

I'll limit my take on this to "offical" realeased adapters/lenses.

The .6x wide from Century ($399 list) is excellent and has a little bit of zoom through but it is primarily a fixed focal length adapter. It has a decent ammount of barrel distortion so straight object towards the sides are going to look slightly warped. It however does a very good job in keeping chromatic abberations to a minimum.

The .7x from Century($799 list?) is full zoom through and an amazing adapter for the run and gun shooter or dramatic director. The quality is top notch however in my experience it has less barrel distortion but a bit more fallof and chromatic issues at the very edges. This is normal for all wide angle adapters in this price range. To improve on these adapters would cost thousands of dollars.

Still let it be said that these Century Optics units are the best in this range. There are cheap Digital Optics and other lower-end companies that don't look anywhere as good as these. So don't think you can get this quality for a lens $150 on Ebay. YOu get what you pay for.

If you don't mind changing lenses I would highly recommend the 3x canon lens. It is the cleanest, sharpest wide I have personally used on the XL2. No chromatic issues and minimal, almost undetectable barrel distortion. It seems to retail between $1200-1300 but can be found used for $700-$1000 on Ebay and other used sites.

I already have the .7x wide angle adapter but I got the chance to use the 3x from canon and if I had it to do over I would get it used. I also do a lot of run and gun and need the .7x Century for zooming in and pulling wide without having to change lenses. It really does a great job but the 3x from canon is cleaner and sharper at the widest setting.

There are also non standard lenses that will work with this but you will have a harder time finding them and you might have to have some pieces custom made to get them to work. I'm sure John Sandels link above points you to the Bolex Aspheron lens adapter but I haven't checked. That looks like some kicka** glass but there might be some legwork to get it mounted onto your lens.....if you can find one them!!!

Peace.

Jon Turner February 21st, 2005 03:45 PM

thanks guys