XL2 Nature 24PA footage Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 21st, 2005, 06:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 Nature 24PA footage Video

Hello,

Some people have been asking about sample footage from the XL2 in 24PA mode so I took my camcorder out to the park and filmed a few nature scenes. I just wanted to say the footage looks amazing. Also, I encoded the video in WMV so I hope you mac users can play this file although I'm not entirely sure. Enjoy!

PS. The file is approx 50 megs so just right click and DL it.

Also to clarify, the footage is played back at 24p (23.97), not 24pa (29.97).

www.andrewoh.net/videos/nature.wmv
Andrew Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005, 08:04 PM   #2
Wrangler

Thanks for sharing your work. It still looks very nice even though encoded at a lower rez. I'm curious about the settings you chose: 400x300 with 1.2 PAR, 336KB/sec...any particular reason for them?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:59 PM   #3
New Boot

I have a question about shooting in progressive. When I tried some shots recently on 25P (with my Pal XL-2) I found that the pans were jerky when viewed on a normal television. Can this stuttering be eliminated in a NLE system? Is it true that the image quality is better when shot in progressive? Thanks!
Shekar Dattatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Pete,

I had to downrez because the full rez file was just too big. 400 x 300 with 1.2 seemed like a good size for viewing.

Hey Shekar,

The stuttering cannot be elimiated in the NLE because it's the frame rate that actually makes it looks like it's stuttering. The interlaced footage will look just as nice as the P footage because it utilizes the same CCDs. Progressive would definitely look better if you were doing a film out but I'm guessing that's not going to be the case. If you're using it for nature shots, it's probably better you don't shoot 25p but that's what I think. Good luck!
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Progressive isn't an option on the cam though right? That's done in post. Is stuttering only noticable on panning shots. Still shots/slow moving is ok?
Kevin Gilvear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi;

This "stuttering" has been happening since the dawn of cinema! The only reason you don't often notice it on projected film is because DOP's are (usually) careful to avoid it with fluid movement, also make sure youre shutter speed is 48th (50th Pal) thus simulating film properly and causing enough motion blur to make it flow like film does.....
Kevin, progressive is most certainly an option.

Olly
Rachel Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Rachael. I wasn't sure if progressive was an option on the PAL cam. I'm working on a short film so I should go with progressive like Andrew suggest. Thanks for the tips.
Kevin Gilvear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Nature

Andrew,

Your footage is beautiful.
I like your choice of The Mission as the background music.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 02:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Stuttering

You might want to check and make sure the image stabilizer is turned off. If it's on during a pan it will cause the image to be very jumpy because it tries to "correct" the motion of the tripod head.
Eric Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 02:23 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Nico, thank you for the kind words. Isn't the Mission soundtrack the best?

Eric, the IS was turned off. Shutter speed was at 48. The 24p panning is still a little jittery though. Maybe I should try SS 24.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Pete Bauer : Thanks for sharing your work. It still looks very nice even though encoded at a lower rez. I'm curious about the settings you chose: 400x300 with 1.2 PAR, 336KB/sec...any particular reason for them? -->>>

Hey Pete,
Man, I feel so dumb. I didn't realize what you meant and I know you were trying to figure out some sort of method in my foolishness in encoding with 1.2 apect ratio. Thanks for asking in such a polite way. The fact is, I didn't know what I was doing. 16:9 is really new for me so thanks for the help Pete. I get it now :D
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Andrew,

Yes - The Mission is wonderful for nature footage - but the ultimate would have been cuts from Beethoven's 6th Symphony - The Pastoral. I am planning to do something similar with that as background music.
Old March 6th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Very nice! I was looking for this kind of footage to evaluate how well XL2 handles color. Thank you!
Dmitry Kichenko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders