End Search is crippled? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

End Search is crippled?

I note with dismay that End Search will not work once the tape has been removed/replaced. This sucked equally with my Sony TRV-30, but I assumed this was Sony's quaint little way of encouraging me to buy the pricey tapes with the memory chip. (Yes, you guessed it, the tapes with the memory chip have no such limitation when used with a compatible camera.) (...and oh, yeah, isn't magnetic tape also a form of memory?)

So why does the Canon XL2 do this?!? Didn't they build their own (i.e., non-Sony) tape transport that doesn't even support the chipped tapes? I can think of no *technical* reason why End Search would not work just fine after removing/replacing the tape. It's not rocket science to search the tape for the end of any recorded signal and cue up there and I find it a real PITA to do manually. Sure End Search can be fooled if you leave gaps in your recordings, but you can just as easily do that the 1st time, 5th time, or 20th time the tape is in the camera. It makes no difference.

And the irony is that they go through all the trouble to detect and keep track of the fact that the tape has been removed/replaced, but it's somehow too difficult to locate where the recorded signal stops?!?

Please pardon my frustrated rant. This just seems like a really stupid flaw and I'm at a loss to explain it.

Spare clue?

-cw-
Charlie Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:51 PM   #2
Wrangler

If it's any consolation, all of the Sony prosumer cameras (not just the TRV-30) behave like this too....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders