DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Tape Loading Problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/40498-xl2-tape-loading-problem.html)

Craig Bellaire March 4th, 2005 10:13 AM

XL2 Tape Loading Problem

OK, we have 2 xl2's at work here and it seams that when we load a tape, it may or may not work... meaning the camera says NO TAPE... any ideas.. Using Sony Tapes... thanks...

Richard Alvarez March 4th, 2005 11:24 AM

I'm not a fan of Sony tapes. And once, when we sent the XL1 in with problems, the first thing the canon rep asked was "Are you using Sony Tapes? DON'T"

That's what a Canon tech said to me.

I know that Canon reccomends 'dry' tapes. I know that Sony manufactures a 'wet' style head cleaner.

What I don't know, is whether or not Sony's tapes are wet or dry.

Try a different brand and see what happens.

Craig Bellaire March 4th, 2005 11:44 AM

OK well give it a try...

OK well give it a try...

Pete Bauer March 4th, 2005 12:04 PM

Just to be safe, make sure to clean your camera heads before switching tapes, though.

Chris Hurd March 4th, 2005 12:30 PM

Make sure that the cassette's record prevention tab is slid to the "off" position. This is the single most common problem regarding the "no tape" display warning.

Jeff Boeckman March 4th, 2005 05:28 PM

I am not sure if this is any help or not but I just got off the phone with Brian at Zotz and he told me that he wont sell anything but Panasonic tapes for the xl2. It seems as if they are the only tapes that don't use an oil type lubricant. They use a dry silicone or something like that. He also said to stick with the same tape forever and you shouldn't even have to clean it.

Late,
jb

Craig Bellaire March 5th, 2005 08:21 AM

Tape

Well we've only every just used Sony tape and never a problem BUT we've only had Sony Cameras... So Looks like we wll have to maybe look at changing ... Also Just wondered about the CAnon TApe.. I've seen canon Mini-dv tape but it's never mentioned...

Pete Bauer March 5th, 2005 08:48 AM

As far as the record prevent tab that Chris mentioned, well, I'VE NEVER done anything like THAT...but you might want to check that anyway! ;-)

Otherwise, I can't comment factually about the Sony tapes, but it sure has been often-said that they are "wet" tapes that lead to problems more than others. I don't know who actually makes the Canon branded tapes, but you don't see them around as much, so considering that we ought not switch formulations, I just stick with the Panasonic tapes because they are easy to find and highly thought of. And others stick with their preferred brands.

Whenever I have an order in with Zotz, I usually ask 'em to add 10 or 20 tapes to the order so I always have plenty of exactly the same kind of tape on hand.

Please do let us know how it all ends up.

Craig Bellaire March 5th, 2005 09:41 AM

Thanks to all

Thanks to all for the help... After next week we'll be able to determine more what we are going to do... More likely change brands of tape....Thanks

Bill Hamell March 5th, 2005 12:35 PM

Craig,

Make sure you or whoever loads the tape pushes in the tape caddy before closing the tape door.
I once put a tape in and just closed the door and got the same message. It took a couple of anxious minutes before I realized my mistake.

Mr. Bill

Chris Hurd March 5th, 2005 01:00 PM

Thanks for pointing that out, Bill -- that is also a very common cause of the camera not recognizing a tape. I should put this in the XL2 FAQ, I guess.

Advil Dremali March 5th, 2005 02:41 PM

Hahah I had this problem with my Xl2 as well.

What you do is put in the tape, and you DON'T close the tape compartment. Instead you push in the metal piece inside the compartment and wait for it to move into place. Once it's in place you close the compartment.

The metal piece should have a 'push' sticker on it.

Craig Bellaire March 5th, 2005 05:59 PM

Done that

Yes we are aware of the tape compartment loading first... So that hasn't been the problem BUT I did load a tape between the tape loading tray and the plastic door the other day because I wasn’t looking.. It’s a bit harder to get out them you might think…

Greg Boston March 5th, 2005 07:13 PM

FWIW, I have been using TDK tapes in my XL-1 and now XL-2 and have had no problems at all. I have also used an occasional Maxell tape with no ill effects. They must be very similar.

Also Craig, there has been discussion here in the past, and Chris H. feels they need to write a constitutional amemdment to state that you must run a head clearner through your new camera before you do anything else. This has more to do with several new cameras from different manufacturers proclaiming 'dirty heads' after just a few tapes on the new camera. It's very unsettling to a new camera owner, My own 953 did this to me and after a head cleaning, has never complained since.

-gb-