XL2 Botanical Gardens video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 8th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #1
New Boot

XL2 Botanical Gardens video

Hi everyone. Here's some footage I took this past Saturday at the South Carolina Botanical Gardens here in Clemson. It's nothing special as I was mostly trying to get a feel for my new tripod (and the camera as well). File is around 46 MB.

http://www.clemson.edu/~bowlesb/vide...calgardens.wmv

Ben
Ben Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #2
Wrangler

Looks very nice even though PPro claims it is down-sampled to some unusual settings. Can you confirm these WMV file settings:

23fps, 540x360, PAR=1.0, 377KB/sec

Also wondering what your camera settings were and what tripod you used? Thanks!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I enjoyed that. Being in Alaska it is nice to see some foliage.
Late
jb
Old March 8th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #4
New Boot

Pete,

Yeah, those settings are about right. To be honest, I'm not really sure what usual settings would be. Sorry if they're way off. Would you care to expand on what they should be, because I am very new at this. The camera was in Tv mode, but I used Exposure Lock to open/close the iris for a couple of shots. Other than that I didn't do too much.

I'm using a Bogen 516 head with 3191 legs for support, and I am very pleased with it.

Thanks for the replys.

Ben
Ben Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #5
Wrangler

Hey Ben,

There's no "right" or "wrong" about the encoding; I was just curious. I generally just use 720x480 or 640x480 depending on the pixel aspect ratio of the final format, which -- all other things being equal -- would of course result in a bit larger of a file than yours. I even fiddle around with UP-rezzing to HD (720p24 WMV) sometimes.

Thanks for the feedback on the tripod. When I get around to upgrading tripods for my XL2, it'll either be that or the Vinten Vision 3 that Ken Tanaka has recommended in the past:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ghlight=Vinten

Jeff,

Don't forget to "leave the lights on" for me up there in Alaska...but you can wait till summer! ;-) Seriously, my wife and I really do hope to get up there finally this summer. If we do, we'll buy ya lunch and talk shop!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders