DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Mount a receiver to XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/40767-mount-receiver-xl2.html)

Jimmy McKenzie March 9th, 2005 06:44 AM

Mount a receiver to XL2

Quick question for XL2 users who have the sennheiser receiver. How do you mount this to the XL2 now that the handy little bracket that was part of the old ma100 is no longer needed?

Bruce S. Yarock March 9th, 2005 07:29 AM

I had been clipping it on to the metal plate intended for the dual battery holder. It slipped off a few times, so I was going to velcro the back of the receiver and the plate. But I bought the Anton Bauer Dionic 90 battery, and the gold mount w/ power tap, which now goes on top of the dual battery plate. I'm still planning to use velcro, but not sure exactly where. ( I got the A/B battery to use with a frezzi "mini fill" light).
Bruce Yarock

Jimmy McKenzie March 9th, 2005 07:39 AM

Gotcha. What about just the bare XL2? You mentioned a plate for the dual battery holder. Is this part of the XL2 standard shipping list?

Kevin Kocak March 9th, 2005 08:30 AM

Yes it comes with the camera. I mounted my wireless receiver there with velcro as well. Works like a charm.

Jimmy McKenzie March 9th, 2005 08:47 AM

Excellent! Thanks to both of the Floridians above!
Jimmy.

Pete Bauer March 9th, 2005 11:02 AM

I'd been doing like the other guys and clipping to the metal battery holder. But recently I decided to remove that to make the camera more soft-case friendly. I'd mainly wanted to keep the camera shoe open for attaching a light, but found I was never doing that anyway. The Senn G2 comes with a shoe clip and that works equally well.

Jonathan Jones March 9th, 2005 11:44 PM

me too

After hearing from some vets in these posts, I also got the G2 and wanted to mount on the XL2, but found that the provided mount is just for the hot shoe - which for the most part I have dedicated for other stuff - at least for now. I had hoped that the G2 would come with a suitable mount that would work with the XL2 rear plate as that monster is a really durable chunk of metal meant for hauling extras around. I would think velcro would do the trick, but I found that for now using the little metal belt clip that is alreay on the receiver works just fine on rear plate...with one caveat. It doesn't work so well with the receiver facing towards the rear because the little 'nubules' don't let the receiver body sit well. I found that clipping the unit on the rear plate facing towards camera front (on the inside plate face) seemed to hold it pretty well - for now. It might not do for a lot of rock 'em sock 'em action, but then I wouldn't let my XL2 get rocked and socked anyhow.

By the way, is it just my anal retentive geekery, or is it just me who noticed the oddity on the box photo of the Sennheiser G2 system? As soon as UPS delivered it, I opened the delivery box and saw the Senn box inside with a photo of a guy holding a camera with the system attached to its hotshoe. In the photo, they have the transmitter attached to the camera, instead of the receiver. I wonder why they would do that? I also wonder why that was the very first thing I noticed.
-Jon

Douglas Robbins March 10th, 2005 02:40 AM

The Senn hot shoe plate comes apart. Remove the shoe part and you are left with a plastic plate with a bunch of holes in it. You can mount that plate to the Camera's rear metal plate. Put a few of those little screws through a few of those little holes in the plastic plate, into the metal rear plate, clip the reciever to the plastic plate like you're supposed to, and you're all done.

Douglas

Jimmy McKenzie March 10th, 2005 06:00 AM

Jonathan: What keen observational skills you posess. You have selected the right profession. You would think that given the heritage of the company and the country from which they hail, that nothing short of perfection would be allowed at the ad shoot.
I'm sure they fired the first three photogs for even more grevious errors.
Good eye!

Jonathan Jones March 10th, 2005 11:44 AM

thanks

Thank you Jimmy. And also, thank you Douglas for the additonal info on the shoe. Much appreciated...I will check it out.
-Jon