'red-eye' wide angle adapters - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 14th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #91
Regular Crew

Thats odd. All the shots I did before were with ND filter off. I wasn't sure so just checked some of the set up photos I did - and the ND was definitely OFF - so at F4.0 or F5.2 surely the whole image should be in focus?

I suspect that focus across the image also depends on subject distance.

Perhaps there is more to this focus business than meets the eye....so to speak!
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #92
Regular Crew

yeah, i don't want to make too many statements before i've had some all-round experience. these are just preliminary observations.

what cam are you using? i have an xl2 and i was wondering if there was something about the 20x lens that might be making the difference.
Jon Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #93
Regular Crew

XL1-S.

From my previous shots, it looks like the focus problem is more pronounced on the 3x than the 16x.

I think that you are right - more experience and trials needed by me too.
Old April 15th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #94
Inner Circle

Doesn't matter what focal length you're dealing with, remember that diffraction will rob you of visible sharpness at apertures smaller than f/8 if you're capturing onto tiny 1/3" chips. Remember too that the shorter the focal length the more diffraction destroys sharpness, so if you're using the Red Eye and max wide-angle, don't stop down below f/4 if you can help it - bring those NDs into play.

My VX2000 will film at f/11, f/16 and f/22 and it's absurdly easy to demonstrate the resolution loss at these tiny apertures. Many people (usually fresh from 35 mm photography) are confused and suspicious, yet they're convinced after seeing the results. Stay at f/5.6 and above, good people.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #95
Major Player

Chris,

I just emailed you some frame grabs for posting. Thanks.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #96
New Boot

.5x 72 mm Red Eye production hold

Hello all,

I greatly appreciate the input I’ve received from members of this forum.

Based on the feedback I've received and some issues brought to my attention, I've placed a temporary hold specifically on the production of the .5x 72 mm Red Eye until I can resolve some issues.

I have new lens material on order and I hope to be doing testing by the weekend. Once I’m satisfied with the results, I will be sending samples to forum members for evaluation.

If any one has specific questions, kindly contact me directly rene@collinscraft.com

Again, thanks to all for your assistance.

Very best regards,

Rene J. Collins
President
Collinscraft Canada
Rene J. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #97
Regular Crew

I guess I have to wait a little longer then. There is a possibility that I might go to Singapore to buy an XL2 PAL, I am planning to drop by SLV to try the Red eye. What issues are you planning to resolve with regards to the .5x 72mm? When will the new version be available?

I really think that your kind of responsiveness to your clients' and future-clients' concerns is impressive.
Arlie Nava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:22 AM   #98
Regular Crew

Other Image Distortion Subject

On the subject of distortion, I have started another thread (link below) which may be of interest to readers of this thread - but it is not RedEye related - more CCD related.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...366#post308366
Old July 5th, 2005, 04:03 AM   #99
Regular Crew

Wide Angle - Barrel Distortion

I have the red-eye wide angle adapter, which seems to produce acceptable results when viewed on a TV screen (although a little soft on the edges).

However, when viewed on a PC (which shows the overscan area), there is clear barrel distortion at the edges and chromatic aberation (i.e. you see four curves at each corner).

For displaying on a TV this doesn't seem to be much of a problem, however creating files for web display / PC viewing, it is unacceptable. My question therefore, does the Canon 3x lens also produce this distortion at the edges when viewed on a PC ? I can get around the problem by zooming the footage slightly in post until the edges disappear or applying a crop, but I would prefer not to have to do this.
Declan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #100
Obstreperous Rex

The 3x lens does not produce distortion. The Redeye is considered acceptable since its distortion is outside the TV-safe area of the image. As you've noted, the solutions are to either crop the image or zoom in slightly.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #101
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris. Debating whether to get the 3x lens or not, seems alot of money, but if the quality is much better then I may go for it at some point.
Declan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #102
Major Player

I boght the 3x despite some strong negative comments made by people on this board. I have never been anything but pleased with it (despite the fact I blew the fuse in it by taking it off with the cam on! and needed a replacment).. It is a good lens and worth the money.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #103
New Boot

Red Eye

Dear fellow criminals in the film- and XL2makers community.
I did not buy Century Optics or buy via BHPhotoVideo, both who I strongly recommend from my own, personal, experience.
I did buy the Canadien add-on lens Red Eye to fit on my 20x standard XL2 (72mm #5) and it works very well thank you.
Now I have wide angle with no hassle, great quality (really, really great), and not adding anything beyond 2mm to my lens.

Dear Admin, lock this thread for not promoting any of our sponsors. Unfortunately Red Eye could not be acquired through BHPhotoVideo, although I tried. But the lens is a w s o m e .
Peter Wittinghoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #104
Inner Circle

As someone that lives in the UK, and therefore does not have easy access to the DVi sponsors, I'm sure DVi won't object to me adding a comment here!

I also bought the Red Eye and despite the fact that it is obviously not zoom through (which isn't a major issue for me), I think it is a lovely piece of glass.

In certain conditions I have noticed some minor colour fringing and distortion but generally I'm very happy.

The only real disappointment was not being able to use it in conjunction with my Formatte matte box because the adaptor for that is also a screw in. No wide horizons with the grad ND for me!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #105
Regular Crew

Hey Peter,
I own an XL2 also and was looking into getting a Wide Angle Lens - would you ming posting up frame grabs of your default lens and the red wide angle in action.

Thanks
Prashanna Jayaseelan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders