XL2 motor noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 17th, 2005, 10:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 motor noise

Hi all! After working with the XL2 now for a couple of months I've noticed that there's a lot of motor noise coming from the tape transport. I know motor noise is to be expected of any camera, but the XL2 seems particularly loud to me. I can post an example later today, but I was wondering if any other XL2 owners were sharing the same problem.

The problem occurs the most when using the on-board mic (naturally) but even when we're using a super-cardioid on a boom in a quiet environment the whirr of the camera is evident. We're beginning to think about bringing blankets to create a blimp around the thing since it's such a pain! Sounds like the early days of "talkie" moviemaking! Anyways, just wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem.
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Mine is silent, might be time to send you'rs in.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You definitely got a problem dude. That is not normal at all.
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

My XL2 has had that sort of hum, working sound (hard to describe since day one. It's not so loud that it comes over on the onboard mic, but never the less I can hear it. Are you other two guys saying that when you put your ear to the camera, example: hand held that the camera is silent? If so, then perhaps I should send it in. I would just hate to send it to Canon and be with out the camera for a week or so just for them to tell me that the noise is normal.
Old March 17th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

There should be a small noise but it should only be heard when the camera is on your shoulder. If you can hear it when the camera is more than a couple of inches from your ear then it is not normal.
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Kocak : There should be a small noise but it should only be heard when the camera is on your shoulder. If you can hear it when the camera is more than a couple of inches from your ear then it is not normal. -->>>

Of course these sorts of things are hard to quantify without actual test equipment in a controlled setting, but that pretty much fits my experience as well. In a very quiet setting and using the onboard mic, I can hear the transport noise on the recording, but it's what I'd call "barely perceptable."

So yes, I'd say that if anyone's picking up the motor noise on external mics more than a couple of feet away, they need to either have their XL2 quieted down, or shoot in noisier environments. ;-)

-cw-
Charlie Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks gents. The camera itself is inaudible until a tape is loaded and the heads begin to move. While this is to be expected, i suspect its a bit noisier than its supposed to be. For now I'm going to wait it out, can't afford to ship off my body for a couple of weeks to be repaired. I'll work around it for now, and plan on sending it in later. Thanks to all who contributed!
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #8
New Boot

Sudden motor noise?

Hey Devin,

A littler later down the road, I'm experiencing the same issue, disturbingly loud motor noise when playing or inserting/ejecting a tape... Do you use a tape rewinder? I wonder if it has something to do with how 'tight' a tape rewinder vs. the onboard vtr rewinds, ffwds, etc.
Donovan Cerminara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Donovan - I don't use a tape rewinder. A year + removed from my purchase and the camera is just as loud, but I haven't experienced any drop-outs, tape rips, etc. Hope that's some consolation for you!
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #10
Regular Crew

In your editing application, try applying a band filter in the parametric EQ centered on 150 Hz and see if it removes your noise.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders