using gain on the XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 21st, 2005, 04:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

using gain on the XL2

Hi everyone.

I was wondering what gain level you guys use on the XL2.
Gain is a great way to get more light, but it's not good voor your image.

I made myself not use more than 6db.
0db for outside, 3db inside, and 6 db for verry low light conditions.
Tim Commeijne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: using gain on the XL2

<<<-- Originally posted by Tim Commeijne : Hi everyone.

I was wondering what gain level you guys use on the XL2.
Gain is a great way to get more light, but it's not good voor your image.

I made myself not use more than 6db.
0db for outside, 3db inside, and 6 db for verry low light conditions. -->>>

Certainly too much gain will give you some graininess. ("No gain, no grain." New motto?) Your numbers look like a good place to start, but there's nothing like experimenting with various gain (and noise reduction) settings to see first hand what you can achieve, and tolerate.

I have observed that under certain conditions, even +18db will give very respectable results. And if there's an appreciable difference in noise between 0 and +6, my tired eyes aren't seeing it.

BTW, outdoors you might even want to drop below 0db (-6db?), as well as kicking in the ND filter. The camera will usually let you know if you need the ND filter. ...though that may depend on what kind of DoF you're looking for.

In low light, you might also want to try dropping your shutter to 1/30th if there's not much motion going on, or if you can get away with calling the extra blur "artistic license." :-) Actually, if you set your frame rate to 30p, I believe 1/30th is actually the preferred shutter speed. (Please correct me if I'm wrong...)

-cw-
Charlie Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:54 PM   #3
Major Player

I try and keep the gain at 0, or -3 in all conditions. But I'm doing mostly things where I can light and alter the environment.

If it's dark, I'll drop the shutter one or two stops, any more and the motion can become too blurry after that. If that's not enough and the light is really bad and I can't light it, I'll go to +6.

I try not to add gain to the picture, but there are times when you have no choice.
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:04 PM   #4
Wrangler

I think this thread has about the most technical discussion of XL2 video gain so far, thanks to A J deLange:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...3&highlight=12

Cheers,
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Wow, thanks for that! Everything I ever wanted to know about gain and the XL-2!

-cw-
Charlie Wilkinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders