DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   newbie on xl2:audio levels on auto? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/41600-newbie-xl2-audio-levels-auto.html)

Lutz Marini March 22nd, 2005 09:55 AM

newbie on xl2:audio levels on auto?

when i use 2 channels 16bit mode with default front mic and on auto level,the 1 channel is almost at minimum.I must set it to almost max level to have some signal.Is this casual?Pls help,I m a newbie,but a real dedicated one.

Chris Hurd March 22nd, 2005 10:12 AM

Sounds like you might have the front mic attentuation switched on by mistake. Be sure to select "Off" for "Front Mic Att." on the audio control panel on the left side of the camera. Also be sure that your headphones plug is firmly inserted all the way into the headphones jack on the camera.

Charlie Wilkinson March 22nd, 2005 12:14 PM

You might also want to unplug/replug the front mic plug. Maybe you have a bad connection.

To help troubleshoot, you may want to point the camera at a steady sound source, set the audio to manual, and set the level controls to get equal readings on both channels. If after setting the levels, the two knobs are not set at approximately the same position, there might be a problem. The problem could be anything from the attenuation switches that Chris mentions to a blown preamp circuit, a bad mic, dirty contacts in one of the switches or connectors, etc....

If you cannot otherwise resolve it and you have access to another XL series camera, you should try switching mics. If the problem then goes away, you had a bad mic/cable/plug.

If none of these steps help, it may be time to send it on a vacation to the Canon service center...

-cw-

Lutz Marini March 23rd, 2005 02:59 AM

Thanks,guys,problem is I bought it just a month ago and I live in Romania,so I guess it would take a while..Can I test it with with a regular mic with mini jack plug and on/off switch?

Ed Bicker March 23rd, 2005 08:43 AM

Chris, THis question is for you. In your post reply you say that you should check that the headphone jack is firmly inserted. I presume from this that you are using headphones when you are filming. Is that correct? If so, do you do this as routine? Should we all be filming with hearing the sound through headphones and not naturally listening to the sounds that the camera will pick up, or do you not trust what the camera mics are picking up and you want to check them with headphones? I presume that you believe that what you hear on the headphones is what is being recorded. Is that correct?

Kevin Kocak March 23rd, 2005 09:44 AM

I know the question was posted for Chris but I'll throw in my 2 cents. If I am planning on using it, I always, always, always, monitor audio through headphones while shooting. To me it only makes sense. What good would it do to review your footage after a long day of shooting and find out something is wrong. And then say, "well it sounded alright to my ear." That would be like shooting without a monitor, or better yet without looking at the viewfinder. Plus everything might sound ok to your ear but what if you picked up any kind of mechanical noise from the camera or any kind of other audio garbage that can happen. Aside from some sort of tape malfunction, what you hear through the headphones is exactly what is being recorded. Always remember, Murphy's Law and CYA!

Charlie Wilkinson March 23rd, 2005 01:00 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Kocak : I know the question was posted for Chris but I'll throw in my 2 cents. If I am planning on using it, I always, always, always, monitor audio through headphones while shooting. ... -->>>

I was going to say exactly the same, but Kevin beat me to it!

I know we're supposed to avoid "me too" posts, but I think this is important enough to demonstrate a little consensus.

Unless you're fine with the idea of making a silent movie, or going the dubbing / foley artist route, CHECK YOUR AUDIO!!

-cw-

Ed Bicker March 24th, 2005 10:12 PM

Thanks, Guys...It makes perfect sense. I never gave that much thought. oh well, now I have to buy a good set of head phones...Any thoughts on what works best on the XL2.??

Charlie Wilkinson March 25th, 2005 01:26 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Lutz Marini : Thanks,guys,problem is I bought it just a month ago and I live in Romania,so I guess it would take a while..Can I test it with with a regular mic with mini jack plug and on/off switch? -->>>

Yes. If you have a non-powered or self-powered stereo mic with a stereo mini phone plug, it could be useful for testing. If you are just trying to compare the levels on each channel, a mono mic with a mono to stereo adapter might be even better.

-cw-

Lutz Marini March 25th, 2005 05:26 PM

Thanks Charlie,I ll try that,but who should I contact if the front mic is not working properly(for warranty issues I mean,I bought the camera from B&H a month ago)?

Charlie Wilkinson March 26th, 2005 11:17 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Lutz Marini : Thanks Charlie,I ll try that,but who should I contact if the front mic is not working properly(for warranty issues I mean,I bought the camera from B&H a month ago)? -->>>

It wouldn't hurt to call B&H seeking guidance, but my bet is that you'll end up calling your nearest Canon authorized service center, get an RMA, and ship the camera off to them. If it really is just the mic itself that is defective, maybe they'll let you send just the mic.

-cw-