DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Jvc Hd? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/41816-jvc-hd.html)

Michael OKeefe March 25th, 2005 06:25 PM

Jvc Hd?

I've heard the new JVC proHD camcorder referenced to a lot on the boards recently, and wondering what people thought of it in comparison to something like the Xl2. I know that one is HD and one is SD, but what do people think is going to set this camera apart from the rest? is it that it is the first true HD camera to be cheap(ish)?

Hopefully someone knows the answer to this.

Jimmy McKenzie March 25th, 2005 08:30 PM

The only reason for Canon to persist to the bitter end of the sd prosumer campaign is the simple fact that the deliverable via disk of hdv content has yet to filter down to the consumer level.

Perhap the release of jvc's new 100hdv cam will push the development along for the xl2 replacement to an hdv device, but the sheer usefullness of the xl2 will keep strong for about 12-16 more months.

The tool set of the xl has always rivaled the jvc ... it's just that jvc's timing is quite good.

Chris Hurd March 25th, 2005 09:13 PM

Michael, you have to realize that since this won't be a very fair comparison, it's really not a good idea to try to make that comparison. The XL2 is a prosumer SD camcorder under $5,000. The HD100 is a professional HDV camcorder at nearly twice the price.

My advice has always been to buy the best you can afford. For some folks that will be the XL2, for others the HD100, and some other camcorder for others still. Hope this helps,

Luis Caffesse March 25th, 2005 11:33 PM

"The HD100 is a professional HDV camcorder at nearly twice the price. "

Chris, are you letting the pricing out the bag here?

All we've been told so far is 'under $10,000'
(of course, I've always suspected that it would mean $9999.99)

But I know many out there are still hoping to see a much smaller price tag.
Nothing is certain until NAB I suppose.

Josh Brusin March 30th, 2005 06:32 PM

if it comes out around $7K I'm in a quandry.

XL2 or JVC...

I have an XL1 and a mini35 and for the love of pete I'm nearly sure ZGC will need some time to adapt for it.

Kevin Wild March 30th, 2005 09:01 PM

It's funny...I know we industry people get VERY excited about new technology and I myself am definitely a first adopter. I cannot wait for NAB and see what new things arrive for us all to drool over.

However, I have to admit that HD is one thing that I've been slow to jump on. The main reason? I only know a couple people who have HD. It has taken MUCH longer to get into people's living rooms than we probably all thought.

That said, it's possible that all of this HDV stuff will PUSH that to happen. Is consumer demand really driving these cameras, as someone said on another board? I don't think so at all! I think the industry is trying to CREATE the need. They also realize that HD is inevitable...literally by gov't regulation in a few years (unless it gets pushed back AGAIN.)

My main point? Standard definition video is here to stay for at least a couple more years. Yes, the HD stuff will pick up more and more, but you are still VERY safe in investing in an XL2. It's a great camera...I love mine. Do I have moments of thinking I should've waited for HD? Some. But knowing that 100% of the material I shoot is going to SD DVD's and SD sets...it doesn't bother me. When even 25% of the people I know have HD sets and there is a medium I can deliver to them on HD (HD DVD's), it will be time to switch for me.

Thoughts? Agree/Disagree?

(2nd thought...never mind. I can't wait to buy the new Panny HD P2 camera!)

Jimmy McKenzie March 30th, 2005 09:17 PM

I agree...

Refer to my previous post and you will notice a similarity. The average living room in North America. There is currently nothing aside from DVHS that will allow any immediate playback for the basic video enthusiast in HD/HDV. For the video watching 95% out there who does not author their own content, we must wait out yet another format war for the final deliverable. When free markets dictate the street, our industry is no different from any other. Proprietary technology from codecs to optics to bitstreams offer too much a prize for the manufacturers not to collaborate on a standard for the next standard. 3 years ago I used to walk with swagger in a cloud of exclusivity due to the fact that I could export video to 9 different media with infinite compression options. Now that euphoria of tech savviness has set me in a state of HD/HDV wait and see that it has actually stiffled my forward movement to new gear. And I need new gear! The jump from SD to HD gets it's focus muddied with each new release. All this with NO delivery format for my productions to my clients.