XL2 for tv sitcoms? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 26th, 2005, 02:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 for tv sitcoms?

Hello:

i just got the XL2 and ive been playing around with it shooting beside a 35 mm bl4 arri. ( i shoot videos for mtv) i found out that it does give great quality and it does look like film. (given the right lighting)

this is the first time ive decided to work with video cameras... and really find the XL2 to be the best choice...

ive been planning to shoot a Mexican tv sitcom with 35 mm film camera buuuuut... i really think that it can be done with the XL2 and lower costs... i guess my question is... to all videographers... do you think that this camera could really make it in the film world?

thanks.
Angel Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 03:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Absolutely.

The XL2 is still relatively new, but the 24P look that it gives is not, and is very well accepted in TV, and now in films. I have been using a DVX100A for over a year, and everybody that sees this thing in action always quotest the favorite "woah, that looks like film"!, even if they have no idea what they are talking about. Especially for a sitcom, why would you shoot a sitcom on 35mm? I can see 16mm or super16, but 35mm is overkill. The Xl2 will give you the resolution that you need for a sitcom.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 04:26 AM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

A sitcom might be the ideal option for an XL2 to have a good shot at replacing film for a shoot. Sitcoms are traditionally high-key lighting, with very, very little shallow-focus stuff. I'd bet you could do a quite credible sitcom on the XL2.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks for your comments guys.

every moment that passes by that i spend playing with the XL2 i realize that this could be done.. even for music videos, since there gonna go to a tv channel....

thanks again...
Old March 26th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #5
Wrangler

Angel:

If you have the opportunity to try the P+S Technik Mini35 setup with a PL mount, I think you'll be delighted...best of both worlds...compatability all of your favorite cine lenses, with the depth of field of 35mm, but the reduced size, operating cost and instant monitoring capabilities of the XL2. A bit exposure-hungry though--you'll probably find that it rates somewhere around 200 ASA with this configuration. Would be great for your music videos. I think the sitcom could be managed without a standard setup however.
Old March 27th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #6
Major Player

Angel, why not a Panasonic SD-X900? Or Super16? I love my XL2, but I just wonder if MiniDV is the right format?
Old March 27th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

i know man, i wonder too, but, due to the quality ive seen the xl2 can reach, i think that it is possible to achieve a great film look to something that is gonna be brodcasted in TV.

don you think?
Old March 27th, 2005, 01:13 AM   #8
Major Player

It could be really nice with the XL2. My only concern is the moiré and aliasing problems with smaller format cameras.

You also have to be careful of small patterns and busy patterns in clothing, props and set dressing that may cause "jitter".

Test it out, give it a try and see what happens. It would definitely be a boost for the XL2, if you did.
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #9
Major Player

Currently there are quite a few shows that use cameras such as the DVX100 for filming, MTV's wildboyz is one that comes to mind. After the nature of the show, it is really beatiful looking and quite different from most things on television. It is not like miniDV has not been used in the past, it is a very strong and capable format for broadcast.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #10
Major Player

Could the moire/aliasing problem be somewhat negated by using the Mini35 adapter? I don't know but it seems it naturally softens the image so shouldn't it help a little theoretically? Never used it, so I'm only guessing.

Plus the shallower DOF means you would not need to worry as much about potential moire problems in your frame since only a portion of it will be in focus (so no sweat over those out of focus blinds in the background of your shot).
David Lach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders