Barry Green's DVX book for XL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 01:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Barry Green's DVX book for XL2?

Getting to know my XL2 and was wondering how applicable Barry Green's DVX book is to the XL2. I bought Greg Salman's Ultimate Guide to the Canon XL2 DVD, and even though I picked up a few things, it left a lot to be desired in my opinion as far as settings, effects, technology explainations, etc. I read Douglas Spotted Eagle's review of Barry's book here:

http://www.dvformat.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=29988

"One thing all non-DVX100/DVX100A readers need to do as they glance through the more specific sections to the Panasonic camcorders , is to read the information carefully and get an eyeful of information that is readily translated to any camcorder , whether you're working with a Sony , JVC , or Canon camera."

I guess this statement alone should answer my question, but have any users found Barry's book easily applicable to the XL2 as far as feature sets and relative camera operation? Many thanks.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:14 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I have Barry's excellent DVX book. You'll find some parts of it helpful for the XL2 such as the explanation of the 24p mode, progressive vs, interlace, etc. However it was written specifically for the DVX. The names for certain functions are different between Canon and Panasonic (ClearScan vs. SyncroScan, etc.), the descriptions of camera jack locations, and so on, none of that will transpose to the XL2, sorry. But... the future is always wide open...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 02:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Barry Green's DVX book for XL2?

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Janisch : Getting to know my XL2 and was wondering how applicable Barry Green's DVX book is to the XL2. I bought Greg Salman's Ultimate Guide to the Canon XL2 DVD, and even though I picked up a few things, it left a lot to be desired in my opinion as far as settings, effects, technology explainations, etc. I read Douglas Spotted Eagle's review of Barry's book here:

http://www.dvformat.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=29988

"One thing all non-DVX100/DVX100A readers need to do as they glance through the more specific sections to the Panasonic camcorders , is to read the information carefully and get an eyeful of information that is readily translated to any camcorder , whether you're working with a Sony , JVC , or Canon camera."

I guess this statement alone should answer my question, but have any users found Barry's book easily applicable to the XL2 as far as feature sets and relative camera operation? Many thanks.

Kevin -->>>

I also bought "Greg Salman's Ultimate Guide to the Canon XL2 DVD" and though I felt I was ripped off because it really wasn't the "ULTIMATE GUIDE". And was quite misleading in the marketing portion, it was more like "Greg Salman's Instruction Guide to the Canon XL2 DVD" IM looking for something that will explain in detail and show illustrations what the settings and tweaking can do. Go into detail, where it shows best settings for weddings, concerts, movies, etc...
Armando Ferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Chris. There is definitely a market and even possible distribution with Canon (Barry's book with the DVX) which could be quite lucrative.
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders