XL2 bad pixels? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 4th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #1
Major Player

XL2 bad pixels?

Hi,
Just found a bad pixel on my 3 month old XL2. Fortunately, it showed up the day after we shot some dark attic scenes. Can be seen rather easily at +6db and is still visible, though not terribly down to 0 db. So I'm wondering, has anyone else seen or had this problem? I've taken it to Canon and hope to get it back shortly. They said that they've seen a few come in for this but not too many. What worries me is that I only found it after looking at some footage on a large studio monitor and it was hard to detect in the viewfinder or on a field monitor even after I found it. Everyone else's still good?

thanks,
Matt
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #2
New Boot

Is this something that records to tape?

Christian
Christian Asnieres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Oh yeah. Plays back as a not-so-nice bright dot. Mine is at about 2 o'clock about a third of the way across from center
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:47 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

You should still have warranty on the camera. Send it in for
replacement or get it fixed. Don't want to have bad pixels.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Actually, I did take it in and just got it back 4 days later, fixed. I have to admit the service was pretty darn good. My only gripe is that I also had a color VF that had a few stuck pixels and they sent it back saying it was within spec. I have a hard time believing that LCD's with multiple bad pixels are within anyone's spec. But at least I got my camera back fast.
Old April 8th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #6
Wrangler

I'd be the last one to defend the concept, but in fact computer LCD manufacturers have written standards about how many dead pixels their LCDs may have -- which of course they don't really jump all over themselves to advertise. Because of that, I won't buy an LCD from a vendor that won't do no-hassle exchanges...don't want to be stuck with an expense display that's "in spec" but has dead pixels.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5579493.html

Bad enough to deal with a display device that has dead pixels, but a sensor with even one would be ENTIRELY unacceptable to me. Fortunately, from your experience it appears that at least the XL2's CCD sensor doesn't fall under those kind of standards!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #7
Wrangler

And, Sony is getting an ear full from some of their PSP customers. Brand new game consoles with stuck pixels. According to another area of the site that you referenced Pete , they aren't jumping to remedy that problem either.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders