red colour problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 6th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #1
New Boot

red colour problem

I do have a problem about red colours when i shoot pictures whith my XL2.
The problem is the same every time. The red colours is much too red. It looks as the saturation on red is much to high.
I always use the cinelook settings. 25p, Gamma, colourmatrix cine, black pressed witch gives me some very nice pictures.
An example is our red Volvo 245 or a red danish mailbox. Even on a cloudy day they become much too red.
I thought about adjusting the colour R-Gain in direction Cyan, havenīt tried this, but is it really nessesary to adjust the Colour Gain, it should be OK when the whitbalance is right?
Per Oellgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

White Balance

You probably do this anyway, but I find that you can eliminate or reduce your reds by setting your White balance manually for every scene. I carry a small 8.5 by 11 sheet of white "plastic cardboard') take 2 seconds to set the balcance and you get much better color reproduction.
Darrin McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #3
Major Player

While the XL2 produces truer colors than the XL1s it still boosts the saturation of reds by almost 20%. About all you can do about this is reduce the saturation of the entire scene in post using primary color correction or reduce the saturation of the reds alone using secondary techniques.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

You can change the complete look of the picture in this camera,
why not simply reduce the red levels if that is such a problem?

And yes, you can futher finetune it in post.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #5
New Boot

Thank You everybody.
I will try to play with the coloursettings.
Per Oellgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm thinking that if you simply reduce red gain it will shift everything else in the cyan direction i.e. a gray card or white fence will take on a cyan cast but it's worth trying. If I were going to tweak anything in the camera it would be the color gain. Reducing this will desaturate the red and everything else as well.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #7
New Boot

Well, Iīm a little embarrassed about this issue. I tried for hours to adjust the red colours, but I newer got any natural red colours. But after many hours I decided to create a DVD with some footage through Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 and Adobe Encore. When Playing the disc on my DVD-player the colours looked much better. The problem was to find in the communication between the Camera and Premiere. I "just" have to find out how to adjust the settings in Premiere.
Anyhow thanks for Your adwise. I got some better colours, the reds are still a little to much in a pink direction compared with the natural reds which looks warmer.
Per Oellgaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders