Urgent please help with capturing XL2 footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:02 AM   #16
Major Player

Workflow!

Hey Alex,

If you're still around......

Sorry I didn't have much time to give you a full explanation before, but now I have a butt ton of renderin going on and some time to kill.

Here is my workflow:
Shoot 24PN at 16:9
Capture into FCP NTSC 29.97 Anamorphic
Reverse Telecine the footage in Cinema Tools to 23.98
Pull into FCP to edit in a 23.98P timeline

Make sure you always light your scene and think long and hard about outdoor lighting as well! I can't stress this enough! If you follow these simple guidelines then I guarantee that you will be more than pleased with the footage from your XL2.

I have even successfully uprezed XL2 footage to 720P with exceptional results. This entire demo reel was shot on the XL2 with the exception of one Green Screen shot at the end: Ryan Mueller Demo Reel on Vimeo

Don't give up on the cam yet! I still love my XL2s.

Ry
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM   #17
New Boot

Thanks for all your help Ryan I'll give that a try, I need to get cinama tools on the computer I'm using first though.

Still haven't fixed the problem, and yes I'm using firewire.

again when I connect the camera to a monitor and look at the footage, none of these errors exist, it looks flawless when I'm connected to a monitor so I'm still not sure if it's the whole problem with the red and the way I'm shooting or if its a problem with the way I'm getting it into FCP

thanks again everyone for all your help
Alex Nazari is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders