Century Optics WA on different lenses. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 9th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #1
New Boot

Century Optics WA on different lenses.

I was looking at wide angle adapters on EVS and I found two from Century optics listed for the canon xl lenses.

1.)
http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VS07CVMXL

2.)
http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VS07CVXL

Both seem to be .7x adapters, but one says it is for the 16x manual lens while the other says its for the 16x automatic lens.

Is there a difference in how adapters mount to each of these lenses? Basically I'm asking if I would have to buy two different apaters if I wanted to use it on both a 16x manual and the automatic stock lens?

--CW
Chris Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #2
Wrangler

Yes Chris, they are different adapters. I just bought one from one of our sponsors for my recently aquired 16x manual lens. The difference lies in the outer diameter of the two lenses where the bayonet mount is located. You can't even exchange the Canon lens hoods between the two. The auto lens is bigger on the outside. Not to mention that the adapter was likely designed to be precisely placed distance wise from the front element of the lens it's attached to.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Greg is right (groan :}
I you want the ability to go wide with Century on both lenses you need two $500++++ adapters. That sucks but I guess you can't expect more from stuff that has to be so finely matched up.

I'd never tried to fit my wide for the 20x onto the 16x, since the specs said it wouldn't work. Then I must've misread something here cuz I thought someone said it would work on the manual too. Got all excited and drove home like a maniac to try it, sure enough, it doesn't fit :/
Jeff Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #4
New Boot

So does this problem only apply to adapters that fit on the lens bayonett style? I just bought a Bolex Aspheron and I have to have a special apater made to go from the 85mm threads on the aspheron to the 72mm threads on my 20x canon stock lens. Will I have to make another adapter for the 16x manual lens, or does it matter in this case.

-CW
Chris Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #5
Wrangler

Chris,

All Canon XL series lenses use a 72mm filter thread. The Canon GL series cameras have a 58mm filter thread. So, you might be able to get away with it using your Bolex Aspheron adapter. As for optical qualities, you'll have to check that out yourself.

-gb-

p.s. I should clarify my statement above to mean XL lenses that are made by Canon are 72mm.
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I second that, if you buy a 72mm threaded wide angle adapter, you can go back and forth between both, but you lose a little on the optical quality since you are no longer getting a custom adapter for that lens. Also, I checked and Century doesn't make a 72mm threaded adapter as far as I can see.

24 hours of educational video on 16 DVDs, focused on filmmaking savvy, examples, demonstrations, and tips.
Learn Scriptwriting, Formatting, Editing, Camera Operation, Lighting, Exposure, Audio, and Directing.
Rush Hamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #7
Trustee

You probably shouldn't know this but if you have the WA adapter for the 20x servo you can make it fit on the Manual. There is a small set screw that is on the side of the adapter. It is designed to stop the outer most part of the WA from spinning infinitely. IF you just turn it 2-3 turns counter clockwise you free the ring to spin. If you loosen the ring enough you get a little bit of play when you go to fit it over the bayonet on the manual lens. IF you just toy with it for a few seconds it will slide over. Now hold the part of the adapter that is fit over the bayonet on the lens and turn the adapter tightening it. NOrmally the set screw will stop it from turning but since you loosened it you can keep turning. Eventually it will pull tight. And now you have yourself a WA that works on both.....but it is not a fast process so consider it almost like a fixed on adapter or an adapter that takes a few minutes to take on and off.

As always do this at your own risk. Be careful not to scratch the lens or strip the threads. THis process should be easy and smooth. If it feels like you are forcing anything stop! As you could strip something.

As a side note when I talked with Century OPtics directly (no they don't support this) they told me there is absolutely no difference in the lens optics between the manual and the servo adapter. They are the same WA adapter simply fitted with a different mount for the different lenses. In fact if you put a DVX mount on the end it is the same exact adapter as the DVX wide angle.

Now are any of you seeing softness at the edges with these adapters? In 16x9 at the widest setting I see a little too much chromatic anberation and slight blur on the far right and left. I'm guessing in 4x3 mode this is decreased significantly as it is essentially masking these outer regions in that mode. Just curious. I've learned to live with it but I always welcome other opinions on how to work around it.

Thanks!

Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #8
Wrangler

Interesting info Marty. So, will it work the other way around I wonder? Since I bought the 16x manual version maybe I can get it on the 20x if I mess around with it. Wish you would have posted this a few weeks ago..hehe.

-gb-
Old April 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #9
Trustee

It will not work the other way around unfortunately. The WA adapter that is designed for the servo lenses have thinner flange that will fit into the wide channel on the 16x manual. You have to tighten it more to get it to grab firmly and that is why losseneing the set screw is vital.

The wide flange on the WA that is designed for the 16x manual is thicker. It will not fit into the groove on the 20x which is narrow.

So it won't work the other way around.

Another thing to consider is that the 20x lens glass sticks out a little farther and you could damage it if you don't have the new
XL2 approved WA adapter. Again it is the same exact optics only they have been shifted forward to make room for the 20x glass. All new WA's from Century for the Servo lenses have been modified to fit XL2 so that little but of a shift forward (1mm I think) must not negatively affect the optics on the older servo lenses.

Thanks,
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders