what to do with new XL2 and a dead pixel? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 18th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

what to do with new XL2 and a dead pixel?

I have a new XL2 that I purchsed 3 months ago and I have noticed a dead pixel in my footage. If I am still within the warranty, should I get this corrected or is this a common defect? Has anyone had theirs repaired and if so, how long is the process?
Old April 19th, 2005, 02:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Dave,
I just went throught the same problem. One day shots looked great, next day found a dead pixel that stuck out like a sore thumb. Fortunately, there's a Canon tech center about 1-1/2 hours from where I am and so I rushed my down there on a Monday morning. Explained the problem they said they would look at it. VERY IMPORTANT - before I went down, I had signed up for the XL Club online. I had not received my membership # back yet so they wouldn't guarentee me the less than 5 day turnaround or provide a loaner but they said they would put membership pending on the paperwork and try to get it back quickly. The Good News - It was covered under the warranty and I received the camera back UPS Next Day delivery that Thursday. No more dead pixel. What they did was mask it out. It's actually not an uncommon procedure for a lot of cameras. Anyway, sign up for the club if you haven't already (without it they said 10 working day turnaround) and get it to them ASAP. I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Matt
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

What is a dead pixel?
Arlie Nava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #4
New Boot

A dead pixel is a pixel that stops functioning, sometimes they stay a single color or do not luminate at all and thus you have a "Dead Pixel".. Once you spot one its hard to take your eyes off of it even though it is so small...
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Matthew. I brought it to Canon today and they will have it ready for me within a couple of weeks. It's all under warranty so I am OK. I hope that this will not re-occur. They did tell me that it is not very common.
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wilson
What they did was mask it out.
what does that mean exactly?
sure doesn't sound like they fixed it...
Dennis Davidoff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders