DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   PortaBrace HKP-3 for XL2 quick review (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/43465-portabrace-hkp-3-xl2-quick-review.html)

Andrew Gold April 23rd, 2005 07:43 PM

PortaBrace HKP-3 for XL2 quick review

After debating and debating I finally got the PortaBrace HKP-3 for my XL2 and I must say I love it! My major requirement in case purchase was that it could store the XL2 fully built and ready to shoot. The quality of the case is stellar, ample pockets on the outside, and it has a hard viewfinder "bulge" so the camera fits ready to shoot. The best thing about it however are the hideaway backpack straps. I've got so much crap to carry the fact that I my camera case doubles as a (rather comfortable) backpack is worth it's weight in gold. If you just want to use it as a handheld case or with a one arm strap, you can zip up the cover and the backpack straps are stowed away. The case provides excellent protection for the camera, the entire interior is a pillowed material surrounded by a hard shell. I picked mine up for around $260 including shipping. If you're looking for an XL2 case where portability and the ability to pull it out and start shooting are issues, this one's for you.

Meryem Ersoz May 2nd, 2005 12:33 PM

thanks for the info, andrew. i am still at the "debating and debating" stage of buying a bag. i paid $80 for a lowepro bag for my GL2 and it turned out to be not-quite-right for me. i don't want to make a similar mistake with my XL2, especially given what bags for these big rigs cost.

i would really like a bag which could house my GL2 and my XL2 because i really use them interchangeably. i don't carry many extras, just a single shotgun mic, which works for both cameras, a set of 'phones, a small lav set-up, and MA-300, 1 25' XLR cord, and occasionally minidisk recorder, plus the usual assorted tapes and disks. a coupla filters. also a desktop tripod.

i have to laugh at my list of "not too many" extras, because what a load! but by most pro standards, it is not all that much.

my question for you is, can the portabrace house these two cameras at the same time, do you think?

Jay Gladwell May 3rd, 2005 01:25 PM

Andrew, I can't find that model number on the PortaBrace site. Where'd you get that information?

Chris Hurd May 3rd, 2005 02:27 PM

Hi Jay,

The PortaBrace site's search tool is a little confusing! Here are the product pages for the HKP-3:

http://www.portabrace.com/product_detail_B.php?id=4044

and

http://www.portabrace.com/product_detail_B.php?id=4045

Hope this helps,

Andrew Gold May 3rd, 2005 03:17 PM

I don't really know the size of the GL2 so I'm not really sure if it would fit both. I'm guessing no, there is extra space in the case to fit some accessories but I don't think there is enough for two cameras, although you might be able to fit them if you broke down the XL2. I put a divider inside the case which gives me an extra internal compartment. It fits the sony camcorder I use for capture and viewing just fine along with a roll of gaff tape and a few other things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
thanks for the info, andrew. i am still at the "debating and debating" stage of buying a bag. i paid $80 for a lowepro bag for my GL2 and it turned out to be not-quite-right for me. i don't want to make a similar mistake with my XL2, especially given what bags for these big rigs cost.

i would really like a bag which could house my GL2 and my XL2 because i really use them interchangeably. i don't carry many extras, just a single shotgun mic, which works for both cameras, a set of 'phones, a small lav set-up, and MA-300, 1 25' XLR cord, and occasionally minidisk recorder, plus the usual assorted tapes and disks. a coupla filters. also a desktop tripod.

i have to laugh at my list of "not too many" extras, because what a load! but by most pro standards, it is not all that much.

my question for you is, can the portabrace house these two cameras at the same time, do you think?

Chris Miceli March 26th, 2009 07:27 AM

Portabrace Info

Hi Everyone,

My name is Chris and I work at Portabrace here in Vermont.

Andrew, thank you very much for your purchase and your detailed description of what you like about the case. Believe it or not we really value customer feedback and we really do use it when we create new designs or update our existing cases. If there's anything you don't like about it, please let us know that too.

At Portabrace we like to think that your purchase is just the beginning of a long and successful relationship. If you have any questions about your case, other pb products, special shoots you're planning for, you'd like a free Portabrace t-shirt, or anything you think I can help with, please feel free to contact me directly at chris@portabrace.com.

Meryem, I can confirm that the HKP-3 will not fit both cameras. In the past we have made some custom changes to our HK-2 to fit the XL-2, then the GL2 would likely fit with it in this case. Obviously there are a lot of different lens choices you could have that might make this a tight fit or no good all together so I suggest you email our case designer, Ken, with some pics of your cameras and lenses. Any dimensions you could provide would also help. You can email ken at ken@portabrace.com (I'll give him a heads-up that you might be contacting him).

You can find details about the HK-2 here:

PortaBrace - Product Detail:HK-2

Also, regarding the confusing search on our site. Please feel free to post to this string or email me off-line with any suggested improvements.

Thank you both very much for your time and consideration of Portabrace. It means a lot to the team here in VT that makes the cases.

CM

Jack Barker March 27th, 2009 08:28 AM

I got "not found" on both of Chris Hurd's links.

Chris Miceli March 27th, 2009 12:15 PM

Links

Hi Jack,

Here are the links:

PortaBrace - Product Detail:HKP-3L (laptop version)

PortaBrace - Product Detail:HKP-3

Also, just want to give you a head's up, we will be launching a newly designed HKP-3L in April. It has some really cool design features like load-bearing straps. If you're interested, shoot me an email and I'll send you the details.

Thanks again.

c

Jack Barker March 27th, 2009 05:06 PM

Thanks, Chris.

Like Andrew, I have the Portabrace for the XL2 with the viewfinder "bulge". I just looked for the model # on the case, but could find none. It doesn't matter, I wouldn't trade it for anything, anyway.