Total Newbie... any advice? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 30th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Total Newbie... any advice?

Hi there... I have recently decided to become a videographer! I want to use the medium as a creative outlet and as a means of income. I plan to purchase the XL2 and Final Cut Studio on possibly a dual 2GH 160gig power Mac. After a lot of research, I have come to the conclusion that these are wonderful tools. What I am unsure of is how well I will be able to train myself to use them. My experience with camcorders is strictly consumer analog. I'm now reading "digital video for dummies". It has actually given me a good grasp on the basics, but of course not enough to get the most out of the XL2. I've also ordered "Final Cut Pro for Dummies". What else can I do to help myself? It is very apparent that a lot of you who post on this board have years of valuable knowledge. I would be very thankful to have some advice thrown my way concerning where to buy... how to learn... what to read... anything really! Thanks a lot.
Paul Picklesimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #2
New Boot

check out videomaker magazine

Videomaker magazine focuses getting beginners to intermediate videographers up to speed with terms, tools, and techniques. You can also find them on the newstand (US only).

http://www.videomaker.com
Mark Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:39 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Videomaker also has a few beginners books, that have some neat tricks and ideas. It will help you get a grasp of the basics.
Old May 1st, 2005, 01:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Im in a similar situation

I have also just started in DV business for weddings and comercials; I have bought FCPHD, 17" powerbook, 2 XL2's, Varizoom ProLite rig, Varizoom DVRig Pro, canon 3x wide lens...etc...

What I have done for learning final cut pro (and Highly recommend) is buying apple's training book from Amazon.com, I am halfway through the book and I am already outputting awesome music videos with wedding video with the xl2.

here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Do the same thing with DVD studio pro & motion, I would get the most current versions of the book (which is not listed), so you might need to wait since its just been updated.

Any adivce on lighting, cases/bags, batteries? I haven't bought any yet and don't want to spend too much as I've already done that with other stuff!
Michael Padilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:16 AM   #5
Trustee

while you can read a lot of books on "howto" the best way to learn is still practice, practice, practice. then when questions arise, ask them here or ask people around you that know dv/dv-editing. it's through your experience on the job that you learn the quickest and learn your own workflow.

how do you practice? well, start by doing your friends wedding/events for free and that'll be your practice, or if by creative you mean short movies, start by writing scripts, getting college students, etc. and start editing them.
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
while you can read a lot of books on "howto" the best way to learn is still practice, practice, practice. then when questions arise, ask them here or ask people around you that know dv/dv-editing. it's through your experience on the job that you learn the quickest and learn your own workflow.

how do you practice? well, start by doing your friends wedding/events for free and that'll be your practice, or if by creative you mean short movies, start by writing scripts, getting college students, etc. and start editing them.
I agree. Learning your equipment and the limitations of it are going to be best done through use. Since you are buying your own equipment you really shouldn't have a problem experimenting all the time. When you come across a situation where you want to get a shot that you can't seem to pull off, come to forums like these and ask.
John Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks a lot for all the advice and tips. I've taken them all to heart. I'm sure I will have more speciffic questions in the future.
Thanks again!
Paul Picklesimer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders