Trying to record on 2 channels with 2 sources at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 4th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #1
New Boot

Trying to record on 2 channels with 2 sources

Recording a stage production in 2 wks. I want to record house audio using the on board mic and take a feed from the audio board to get clean music. BUT, you can't feed XLR's into back of camera and still use on board mic (flipping the switch to rear disables on board mic.). Do I need to purchase an audio matchbox to correct the audio levels (so I can feed XLRs into the converter and take out RCA's and feed those into side of camera? AND if I do all of that, what do I set my audio set up to : 16 bit, 12bit ch 1/2, or 12bit ch 1/2, 3/4. Manual is very unclear. Tech support didn't even know when I called them. Please help!
Kathryn Dennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Kathryn,

Set the camera to 12-bit 4-channel (that is, 12-bit ch 1/2, 3/4). This will enable you to use the onboard stereo mic (it requires two channels all to itself since it's stereo), and also at the same time you'll have both of the rear XLR jacks available as well.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #3
New Boot

Canon says I need an audio matchbox

If I use the on-board mic, I can't use the rear XLR's because when you switch that little switch to rear, it cancels out the onboard microphone. Was wondering if I could plug a mic into one XLR and the line level out of the board into the other XLR, but Canon says that wouldn't work either.
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Kathryn,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Dennen
If I use the on-board mic, I can't use the rear XLR's because when you switch that little switch to rear, it cancels out the onboard microphone.
Trust me -- you can have it both ways, the camera was made for this purpose, you just have to know the procedure is all. Refer to page 50 in the XL2 operator's manual:
  • In the Audio Setup menu inside the camera, choose 12-bit 1/2, 3/4.
  • On the side of the camera under the audio controls panel, set the Audio 1 Input Select to Front Mic.
  • Now set the Audio 2 Input Select to Rear (for the XLR jacks) or Audio 2 (for the RCA jacks).
  • Monitor the audio levels with headphones -- press the Audio Monitor button on the side of the XL2 and cycle through the choices until you get to CH 1+3/2+4. Now you can hear all four channels.

Let me know if any of those steps aren't clear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Dennen
Was wondering if I could plug a mic into one XLR and the line level out of the board into the other XLR, but Canon says that wouldn't work either.
Well, that's because the XLR jacks on the XL2 are for mic-level inputs only (which has been a highly critcized oversight on Canon's behalf). You'll need an external impedance converter box, not too terribly expensive, to transform the line-level signal from the mixing board to the mic-level inputs on the XL2. Or you could go into the RCA jacks on the XL2, as those are line-level already.

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Chris:

The steps you outlined are much clearer than page 50 of the manual. I thought that there was an oversight when I read that the XLRs were for mic level and NOT line level. I did purchase an audio matchbox from B&H which converts balanced audio to unbalance (RCA's) and vice versa. I think that will help my situation. Tech support at Canon was lacking in the audio area. Thanks for your advice.

And, btw, what settings do you use when you shoot your recitals/plays -- how do you avoid allowing the aperature to open too much when you are fully zoomed out (and the lower 1/3 of the frame is black from the audience and the upper 1/3 is black from the top of the stage )--- AND the camera is trying to compensate by opening the iris and thereby blowing away the stage?

Thanks again for your much needed, much appreciated help.
Old May 8th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Great info! Thanks Chris

Chris,

I had the exact same question. Thanks for saving me all the time that Kathryn had to spend before coming to you!

You rock!

Brian
www.justplainfolks.org
Brian Austin Whitney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders