XL2 Workshops or Classes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 16th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 Workshops or Classes?

Heya folks...

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I did some searching and came up empty...

Does anyone know of any workshops (online, or in person) or classes that give a comprehensive introduction to using the XL2?

I'm a complete novice who just dived in, and I've learned a lot through trial and error, but I would love to get a more formal education on the basics of shooting with this camera.

Any reccommendations?

Thanks very much.
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #2
New Boot

Hello Curtis
I am also looking for something similar. Please LMK if you come across something by way of tutorials or even books.

regards,
Sandi
Sandi Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Sandi:

I didn't find too much! But, below are links to some stuff that seemed like they might be helpful.

The first link is to a book called, "Producing 24P." It actually won't be released until August, but it claims to cover in detail the ins and outs of working with the Canon XL2.

The second link is to a "tutorial" DVD that is designed to familiarize yourself with the many camera functions. I already own this DVD, and I'll be honest, it's really for beginners and covers things in a relatively simple, straight forward way. It was actually pretty useful for me, because as I said in my other post, I'm a total novice just throwing myself into the deep end.

Hope these help you too!

-Curtis

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=366552&is=REG
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #4
New Boot

learnin'

i highly recommend approaching your new camera with a sense of adventure. buy your tapes in bulk so you can get them at $3.50 per, and then just tape everything and anything that interests you: video journals, short films, documentaries...and keep playing with the settings, particularly the f stops, the iris and the nd filters.

and make sure to watch all- or at least most of -what you film. and edit the stuff, too, on your computer.

want to see a couple films i made recently with my XL-2? see http://www.verbatimverboten.com/Chicago/movie.html

go get 'em!
Sergi Bosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Sergi...

Those videos were really funny.

Good advice.

-CG
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

sergi, where do you buy your tapes from and what kind are they?
Stefan Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:18 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Curtis. I have ordered the DVD and this is exactly what I am looking for.

regards,
Sandi
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #8
New Boot

Ordered my DVD directly from www.canondvguide.com and had it shipped to me in Hong Kong. It was here is 4 days and I watched some of it today....Awesome.
Definitely worth every cent. I highly recommend any beginner or prospective XL2 buyer to get this ASAP.

Thanks Curtis !

regards,
Sandi
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:16 AM   #9
New Boot

curtis and stefan

hey, curtis,

thanks for the compliment on the films i made! checked out your website. you and your comedy pair seem like a force to be reckoned with.

have you had some fun with your xl2 yet? isn't it the f_ckin' best?

next step for me: buy some filters for it, and some lights to shoot interiors. i barely know a thing about lighting. bought a great book called: lighting for digital video and television, 2nd ed. by Jackman.

stefan, i buy tapes in bulk from taperesources.com
Sergi Bosch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders