DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Kata Or Petrol? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/45030-kata-petrol.html)

Michael Padilla May 22nd, 2005 02:21 PM

Kata Or Petrol?

Hi I am in the market for a bag/case system for my 2 XL2's;

Does anyone know the difference between these two manufactures?

THANKS

___
OH YEAH..I forgot to mention that I would like to keep the XL2's assembled but I have been told thats not good for the Lens mount and that I should always detach the lens...how true is this and can these bags separate/section the lenses and body?

Douglas Robbins May 22nd, 2005 11:28 PM

I have the Petrol U bag. I hate the name "Petrol" but I love the bag. It has a great big opening for the camera, it protects the viewfinder, it has extra room for all sorts of stuff, it's hard, and has feet that keep the bottom of the bag off the ground (good for wet ground surfaces), the strap is strong and comfortable, it's zippers are top qualtity. Very good bag. I took of the "Petrol" badge because it reminds me of SUVs and gasoline and such.

I found the Kata Bag to be too small and a bit contraining on the viewfinder.

As far as separating the lens and body go . . . except in those circumstances when you need to ship the camera or package it up in a pelican case for airline flight, there is no good reason for separating the body from the lens simply for transport. In fact each time you take the lens off you risk introducing new contaminants into the camera and onto the back of the lens, and you risk marring the mating surfaces. There's no point to it.

On a related note: Treat the camera like a camera, not a 6 month old infant that needs to be cradled and babied.

Douglas

Michael Padilla May 23rd, 2005 12:11 AM

WOW...ok, great thanks for the advice on the bag and the camera!
I'll check out the petrol then and remove the badge! :)

Alan Porter May 23rd, 2005 12:55 PM

I have an XL2 and the Kata bag. It's a nice bag but Doug's right: it's a bit tight around the viewfinder. I'm very happy with it otherwise.

Michael Padilla May 23rd, 2005 09:29 PM

Thats good to know 'cuse I want to keep it all togeather; and I might carry extra lenses & stabilizer stuff in the bag...
Thanks for the second opinion!

Has anyone used the rain coat...B&H has it on special (or HAD it) with the bag with free coat.

Rene Rodriguez August 10th, 2005 07:54 PM

PCCB-2N Petrol bag

The camera bag and raincoat are back in stock at B&H!
I just received mine yesterday and the camera fits perfectly inside.
I have not used the coat though.

Andy Joyce August 14th, 2005 06:40 PM

There is a soft Tamrac bag for the XL1 that fits by assembled XL2 perfectly, with plenty of room for accessories. It was less than $200 and it would qualify as carry-on for the plane. It allows run-and-gun shoots since it can be taken out while still strapped on your shoulder, so you can keep moving and you don't have to lay the bag down in water or mud.

Sorry I don't remember the model off-hand, but it should be easy to look-up.

Bruce S. Yarock August 14th, 2005 09:01 PM

Andy, Could you check the mocel on that bag?I'm going to need another bag for air travel.
Thanks
Bruce yarock