Kata Or Petrol? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Kata Or Petrol?

Hi I am in the market for a bag/case system for my 2 XL2's;

Does anyone know the difference between these two manufactures?

THANKS

___
OH YEAH..I forgot to mention that I would like to keep the XL2's assembled but I have been told thats not good for the Lens mount and that I should always detach the lens...how true is this and can these bags separate/section the lenses and body?
Michael Padilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 11:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the Petrol U bag. I hate the name "Petrol" but I love the bag. It has a great big opening for the camera, it protects the viewfinder, it has extra room for all sorts of stuff, it's hard, and has feet that keep the bottom of the bag off the ground (good for wet ground surfaces), the strap is strong and comfortable, it's zippers are top qualtity. Very good bag. I took of the "Petrol" badge because it reminds me of SUVs and gasoline and such.

I found the Kata Bag to be too small and a bit contraining on the viewfinder.

As far as separating the lens and body go . . . except in those circumstances when you need to ship the camera or package it up in a pelican case for airline flight, there is no good reason for separating the body from the lens simply for transport. In fact each time you take the lens off you risk introducing new contaminants into the camera and onto the back of the lens, and you risk marring the mating surfaces. There's no point to it.

On a related note: Treat the camera like a camera, not a 6 month old infant that needs to be cradled and babied.

Douglas
Douglas Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:11 AM   #3
Major Player

WOW...ok, great thanks for the advice on the bag and the camera!
I'll check out the petrol then and remove the badge! :)
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM   #4
New Boot

I have an XL2 and the Kata bag. It's a nice bag but Doug's right: it's a bit tight around the viewfinder. I'm very happy with it otherwise.
Alan Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Thats good to know 'cuse I want to keep it all togeather; and I might carry extra lenses & stabilizer stuff in the bag...
Thanks for the second opinion!

Has anyone used the rain coat...B&H has it on special (or HAD it) with the bag with free coat.
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

PCCB-2N Petrol bag

The camera bag and raincoat are back in stock at B&H!
I just received mine yesterday and the camera fits perfectly inside.
I have not used the coat though.
Rene Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

There is a soft Tamrac bag for the XL1 that fits by assembled XL2 perfectly, with plenty of room for accessories. It was less than $200 and it would qualify as carry-on for the plane. It allows run-and-gun shoots since it can be taken out while still strapped on your shoulder, so you can keep moving and you don't have to lay the bag down in water or mud.

Sorry I don't remember the model off-hand, but it should be easy to look-up.
Old August 14th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #8
Trustee

Andy, Could you check the mocel on that bag?I'm going to need another bag for air travel.
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders