Unable to download DV-PC Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 25th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Unable to download DV-PC Software

I've tried 15 times on three different computers to download the "free" Canon DV-PC software, and haven't been successful yet. Anyone else having this problem?

Customer service says to disable all firewall and virus protection, clear the browser cache, enable Java, turn off pop-up blockers, and hold your left arm at a forty-five degree angle when you download. I've done all that (except the 45 degree thing) on all three computers and have failed every time. And I just hate turning that stuff off for even a few minutes to download from the Canon site. How come I can download from Microsoft, CNET, PC World, and others without turning off my firewall and virus protection, but Canon requires it?

Customer service is unwilling to do anything but send me another email telling me to turn off everything but the power in order to download their software. Ironically I can download one ot the two items on the download page, the manual but not the software. I think it's something wrong with their server but they've "confirmed" its available for download.

Is there any other way to get this? I have a valid Serial Number and offered to pay postage for a CD but Noooo, Canon says its only available through the website. My first taste of Canon sutomer service is somewhat sour.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #2
Wrangler

It is still on the Canon Europe web site, which is where I originally got my copy, so you could try downloading from there:

http://www.canon-europe.com/xl2/download_welcome.asp

If you still can't get it, post again and we'll see what more we can do to help.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick King
I've tried 15 times on three different computers to download the "free" Canon DV-PC software, and haven't been successful yet. Anyone else having this problem?

What exactly happens when you try, ie, what is the way in which it fails? Download won't start, file is corrupt when it gets there, what? Do you get any error messages? Hard to help fix it when all you say is "it doesn't work."

Steve
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Steve,

From the small download window, after the registration process, there are two hyperlinks. One link is to the pdf manual; clicking this link launches a new window and the pdf manual opens in Adobe Acrobat, from which you can save it locally. The other link is to the DV-PC software (.exe); clicking this launches a new window that expands to full size and then [i]immediately[i/] closes with no further activity. I've left it alone for awhile after the window closes thinking that it is downloading the program in the background and will later promt me to save it somewhere locally; no such luck.

I'm not hopeful anyone here can troubleshoot Canon's download page for me, I'm interested in seeing if any other XL or GL users have had the same problem, and if so how they eventually got the software.
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

pat:

could it possibly be a browser problem- what browser do you use?
Michael OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Michael & Steve, Gents, you typify everything that is RIGHT with this community; I appreciate y'all going out of your way to help me. BTW, I tried downloading using both IE and Firefox.

But Pete saved the day without any additional hassles or risk by following Canon's solution of turning off everything that protects my computer. The download on Canon's European website was fast easy and didn't require disabling firewalls, virus protection, pop-up blockers, or holding my left arm at a forty-five degree angle. Thanks Pete.
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:06 AM   #7
Trustee

Patrick, after you use the XL2 for a while, most likely your left arm will be stuck at 45 degrees anyway.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:01 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter
Patrick, after you use the XL2 for a while, most likely your left arm will be stuck at 45 degrees anyway.

Richard
Richard, I'm graduating from two XL1 cams and then an XL1s, so are you trying to imply something (he says with his arm at a forty-five degree angle without realizing it)? LOL
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #9
Trustee

LOL

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders