XL2 Power for Panasonic LCD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 8th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 Power for Panasonic LCD

I assumed the answer was in a post somewhere and I searched 30 minutes before giving up. There is a lot of info around, but somehow I couldn't find a clear answer to the following questions.

Background:

I just purchased my XL2 (it will be here Friday) and I currently have a manual that I've been searching through.
I am planning on buying a Panasonic LCD model TC-7WMS1 Specific link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...u=212775&is=REG

I would like to power this thing off the XL2 battery, but I can't figure out how.

Quesitons:

First, on the XL2 side, I can't see anywhere in the manual where power can be supplied from the battery for accessories. I'm guessing I'm just missing it, but I can't find it.

Second, on the Panasonic side, the only accessory that seems to allow power to get to the LCD is the TC7-CAM kit ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Type=accessory ) which is $185.95 and has stuff that I don't necessarily need or want. I only want the video and power cables and I can't see why they would be this expensive. I don't have any other accessories that I plan on powering.

Is there an enconomical way to get power to this unit?

Thanks,

Kelly

Last edited by Kelly Wilbur; June 8th, 2005 at 11:20 PM.
Kelly Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Great LCD.

That kit is what we have. It connects to and Anton Bauer gold mount.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=364143&is=REG

Anton Bauer QRXL12 Gold Mount for XL1S and XL2 - Power Tap,
7.2 VDC, 12 VDC Mfr# QRXL12 • B&H# ANQRXL12

of course you have to have Anton Bauer batteries (they last forever),
but there may be another solution.

-will
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #3
Trustee

Nebtek sells the 7" panasonic under their brand name. It is set up for use with the Canon battery. It's a bit expensive, though ($780,I think).
http://www.nebtek.com/proddetail.php?prod=101-NEB70LI

bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Kelly,
Unfortunately, the XL2 does not have any means to directly power accessories. In this area, it is still quite a consumer setup. Part of the problem is that the XL2 uses 7.2 V batteries, not 12V as most access. require. I use that monitor and have the Nebtek battery pack setup. It changes the Canon battery to a 12V supply for the monitor. It's pretty convenient because you can use the same batteries as the camera. Nebtek has the whole thing put together, or you can buy the battery adapter separately if you already have a monitor. If you want to use Anton Bauer (AB) batteries, you can get an AB plate adapter for the XL1/XL2 that allows you to use AB batteries for the camera. The plate attaches to the back of the camera and has an adapter that fits into the camera's battery slot. It also has a powertap connection that will allow you to get 12V to access. (That's what the kit you linked to works with) I've got one and it works nice. You can get good long run times out of the bigger batteries and it adds some nice weight to the back of the XL2. Check B&H and you should find them.

Matt
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wilson
Hi Kelly,
I use that monitor and have the Nebtek battery pack setup. It changes the Canon battery to a 12V supply for the monitor. It's pretty convenient because you can use the same batteries as the camera. Matt
Thanks Matt. Is this the battery pack setup you are talking about?

http://www.nebtek.com/proddetail.php?prod=LIBA

Am I correct that this unit fits between the battery and the camera and that it is all I need to provide the LCD with power from the Canon battery?

Also, is that power cable I see is really only a few inches long and the end is some kind of standard for these LCDs and will it fit the Panasonic?

Thanks,

Kelly
Old June 9th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #6
Major Player

That's the setup, but it does not interface with the camera at all. It is strictly for using a Canon battery to power the LCD. THe Nebtek mod to the Panasonic LCD has that piece mounted to the back of the LCD. If you buy it sepearately, you can mount it anywhere and cable the power to the LCD yourself. The only one that can replace the power for the camera AND power the LCD is the AB I was talking about. You can see it at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=364143&is=REG

You put the little adapter on the cable into the battery position on the camera and mount the gold mount plate on the back of the camera. Then use an AB battery and you can power the camera. At the top of the AB plate, there is a 2 pin plug called a powertap that lets you use the AB battery to power 12VDC accessories like an LCD monitoror on camera light. This is probably the most compact and functional solution. Only problem is you would then also need AB batteries and charger. The Nebtek adapter is a much less expensive solution since you probably will have extra Canon batteries anyway.

Matt
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Matt,

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure why I don't just need the following:
  1. Panasonic TC-7WMS1 7" LCD $489.95 from BHphoto.com
  2. Nebtek Lithium-ion Battery Adapter $135 (http://www.nebtek.com/proddetail.php?prod=LIBA), to go between Canon battery and body and provides a power cable for the LCD.
  3. A simple BNC cable to go between the LCD and the BNC terminal on the camera.

Is there more than I need than this? If not, the only question is the length of the power cable from the Nebtek Battery Adapter and if it will fit in the Panasonic LCD (which states it needs a "PowerTap 2-pin")

Am I missing something or is it that simple?

Thanks,

Kelly
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #8
Major Player

As far as I know, the Nebtek adapter has no way to fit between the camera battery and the camera. It is made to stand alone or mount to something else, but not electrically the camera. In other words, it is not meant to use the same battery to power the camera and the LCD at the same time. Hope that helps,
Matt
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I get it. So the Nebtek adapter will power the LCD OR the Canon off the Canon battery...it is one or the other. That is what I was missing.

So with this setup, you hook another Canon battery to the adapter and somehow attach it to the back of the LCD. Matt, I believe you said you had this setup with the Panasonic LCD...how does the Nebtek adapter attach to the Panasonic? I assume it goes on the back, but does it snap in place or something?

Also, am I correct about the BNC cable being the only other thing I need?

Thanks,

Kelly
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #10
Major Player

Actually, you really can't use the Nebtek to power the camera at all. The only output for power is the little connector that fits the monitor. If you buy the whole Nebtek LCD system already put together from Nebtek, they mount a small metal plate to the rear of hte LCD and then mount th ebattery pack to the rear of the plate. I would how you a pic of mine but I have since separated the battery pack in order to use the LCD and battery pack on my Magiqcam. But, there's nothing that says you couldn't Velcro the battery pack to the rear of the LCD or something else.

AS far as th eBNC gopes, the LCD has a BNC input that will connect directly to the XL2 BNC output. THe cable is rather short, but if you mount the LCD on top of the camera, the cable will probably reach.

Matt
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wilson
Actually, you really can't use the Nebtek to power the camera at all.
Right. The only things connected to the Nebtek adapter are a Canon battery and the LCD.
Kelly Wilbur is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders