Wide Angle 4 Xl2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 9th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #1
Tourist

Wide Angle 4 Xl2

I am now looking 4 a nice and cheap wide angle lens 4 my xl2, i am in need of filming a group of people at the same time or a wide chour at church! just to give u an example of what i need the wide angle lens to be capable of!
yes i have looked around and found many but since u all live 4 these camera i though u might kno better!

thanks
Danik Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #2
Trustee

Nice and cheap? No such thing! You can look for the Cavision or Century Precision Optics wide adapters but I think those are still $200 - $300. Best solution is the Canon 3X lens which works great with the XL2

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danik Error
I am now looking 4 a nice and cheap wide angle lens 4 my xl2, i am in need of filming a group of people at the same time or a wide chour at church! just to give u an example of what i need the wide angle lens to be capable of!
yes i have looked around and found many but since u all live 4 these camera i though u might kno better!

thanks
What lens are you currently using? The stock 20x? I cannot say enough good things about the Century Optics .6x WA adapter. It delivers excellent quality with little to no chromatic abberation. It does introduce a little bit of geometric barrel distortion on the far sides but it is not bad. For a retail price of $329 it is a steal. The only drawback really is that you cannot zoom all the way through it. It is a fixed focal length adapter. So if you need wide and be able to zoom tight on one lens......you will be hard pressed to find that for the XL2. The Century .7x zoom through WA adapter would fit the bill but it is more expensive and in my opinion exhibits too much color abberatiion and softness at the sides to be really be used extensively. The Canon 3x wide lens is awsome as far as image quality goes.....but I find the price a bit too much since I cannot really zoom with it either.

FWIW
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Call me crazy

Unless you are using the 3X entensively, why would you need a zoom through. If you need a wider angle than what the 20x gives you, then you won't be zooming in much, right?
Ed Szarleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Szarleta
Unless you are using the 3X entensively, why would you need a zoom through. If you need a wider angle than what the 20x gives you, then you won't be zooming in much, right?
In a perfect world maybe. I find that I have developed a shotting style that requires wide and zoom in the same setups and since much of it is live I cannot switch out lenses or adapters on the fly.

I am not talking about uber zoom. I just need to zoom enought to properly frame certain shots. The DVX100 with the wider view and a 10x zoom really fit the bill. That is what I'd ideally like to see on an XL2 lens. The zoom could be more than 10 but the wide end should be "wide".
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
I am not talking about uber zoom. I just need to zoom enought to properly frame certain shots. The DVX100 with the wider view and a 10x zoom really fit the bill. That is what I'd ideally like to see on an XL2 lens. The zoom could be more than 10 but the wide end should be "wide".
I agree with Marty. I usually have a Century Optics 0.7X converter on the end of my 20X lens, and only rarely need to remove it to get up closer. The telephoto end is already well served with the EF adaptor and all the EF lenses available. If the 20X lens was just a bit wider all round, it would make it much more flexible. Would be nice if Canon brought out a new lens to fill this need.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

you can also get a EF adapter. then you can attach a cheap wide angle lens made for an SLR. That's the cheapest you can get an actual lens. but it sure will look silly. if you need to impress them, take the 20x off and then put on the 35mm EF lens. look impressive is superficially important.
Robert Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #8
Trustee

I dont like the .7X adapter... I much prefer the .6X... just looks better to me...

ash =o)
Old August 17th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Luke
you can also get a EF adapter. then you can attach a cheap wide angle lens made for an SLR. That's the cheapest you can get an actual lens. but it sure will look silly. if you need to impress them, take the 20x off and then put on the 35mm EF lens. look impressive is superficially important.
Robert, this won't give you a wide angle of view. The EF adaptor has a large magnification effect which will make even the widest EF lens into a telephoto.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #10
New Boot

Does anybody know off the top of their head if CO makes a cheapo sunshade that fits both their 0.6x wide adapter and 1.6x tele adapter?

Thanks,
Alan
Alan Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Porter
Does anybody know off the top of their head if CO makes a cheapo sunshade that fits both their 0.6x wide adapter and 1.6x tele adapter?

Thanks,
Alan
It depends on what El Cheapo means to you and the answer is probably no.

I have both the 1.6x and the 0.6x (and the 0.7x) and the sunshades to go with each. The 0.6x and 0.7x use one sunshade and the 1.6x uses another. (different outer diameter.....the 1.6x is bigger I believe.

I think they go fo $195 each on century's website. I picked up the 0.6x sunshade on ebay for $95 bucks and I got the entire 1.6x tele converter and the sunshade included for $130 bucks on Ebay. That was a deal there!

Good luck.

Let me know if you need exact model numbers.
Old August 28th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Danik,
If you go for the Century Optics .7x wide angle for the 20x lens make sure its the correct one. The older one is not compatible with this lens. The You can read about this specific point on this page of Chris Hurd's XL2 Watchdog. http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/tips.php Any XL2 user or owner should read every link on offer there, if you haven't already done so.
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 05:07 PM   #13
Major Player

Ok guys, what about this one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-7x-72mm-Hi-Def...QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone think this is a good wide angle lens?
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 11:22 AM   #14
Trustee

Nope, that is junk... remember if you put cheap glass in front of the great Canon glass you are going to introduce aberrations into your image. The only 2 brands I have found to be good enough are Century and Cavision.

ash =o)
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:16 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
It depends on what El Cheapo means to you and the answer is probably no.

I have both the 1.6x and the 0.6x (and the 0.7x) and the sunshades to go with each. The 0.6x and 0.7x use one sunshade and the 1.6x uses another. (different outer diameter.....the 1.6x is bigger I believe.

I think they go fo $195 each on century's website. I picked up the 0.6x sunshade on ebay for $95 bucks and I got the entire 1.6x tele converter and the sunshade included for $130 bucks on Ebay. That was a deal there!

Good luck.

Let me know if you need exact model numbers.
JUst to clarify.....The $195 price I mentioned on Century site is for the sunshade....not the lens. The 0.7x is like $799 or something and the 0.6x is $399 or so. The sunshade are $195...not the lenses. Also...the 1.6x tele adapter is another $600 or more lens. I was fortunate to find a used one with the sunshade included for $130 used on ebay. So if you can dins a used century lens for under $200 you will get quality, however a new off-brand for under $200 is probably junk.

FWIW.

Also as Ash stated putting junk in front of the great canon glass will hurt the image significantly. heck..even the really good century lenses introduce a minor hit to the image quality. It is the nature of the beast....the less glass between your subject and the CCD the better.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders