DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Windscreen on XL-2: how tight a fit? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/46072-windscreen-xl-2-how-tight-fit.html)

M. Scott Smith June 11th, 2005 03:17 PM

Windscreen on XL-2: how tight a fit?

Hello,

I purchased the EQ-XL1 Equalizer Windscreen for my XL-2, and installed it over the XL-2's on-camera mic. Or at least I think I did; the windscreen doesn't seem to slide all the way over the mic -- there's about a half inch of foam left at the end of the mic that I can't seem to slide the equalizer over. The instructions that came with the EQ-XL1 aren't very good; it's not clear to me if the equalizer should slide all the way to be flush against the end of the microphone (as I would expect), or if it's normal to have a bit of a gap.

For those that have the EQ-XL1, should it slide snug against the plastic of the microphone, completely covering the microphone's normal foam covering?

I can try to apply more force than I have, although I felt perilously close to the point of applying so much force that something would break (or ensuring that there's no way I'd ever be able to get the EQ-XL1 off).. So I wanted to double-check.

Thanks!

- Scott

Chris Hurd June 11th, 2005 03:41 PM

One of the last conversations I ever had with Equalizer designer Leslie Drever before he passed away concerned this exact topic. At the front end of the Equalizer, there's an internal rubber bushing. Leslie told me that it's an exact duplicate of the bushing that you can clearly see at the open end of the Equalizer, so even though you can't see what you're hitting up at the closed end, you'll at least have an idea of what it looks like. The mic needs to slip into this bushing and go all the way through. Looks like you're not quite hitting it just right as there should not be such a gap as you describe.

To ease the procedure, remove the mic from the camera. Delicately play with the Equalizer a bit as it's going on. Gently wobble the front end ever so slightly and you can detect where that bushing is inside there. Very carefully flex the Equalizer as it's going on and twist it around just a tiny little bit and you should be able to have the front end of the mic find its way through and go on past that bushing you've been hitting. It'll be a snug fit. Several tries might loosen it up just a hair which will make the process easier. Now the front end of the mic actually will snug all the way up to the front end of the Equalizer. Leslie advised backing it off just a tad, a millimeter or two, so that there's no actual contact made right at the front where the pickup elements are. Leave just a bit of space, hard to guage since you can't see inside, but you'll know it when you try out this procedure as I've described. Hope this helps,

M. Scott Smith June 11th, 2005 04:00 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick reply. I followed your tips and was able to get it a bit closer. There's still about .25" of foam showing, but that's better than it was. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get it much closer, but hopefully having the windscreen covering as much as it is will be better than having no windscreen at all.

Thanks again -- this is a great site and resource!

- Scott

Ron Armstrong June 12th, 2005 09:51 PM

Hi Scott;
Am I in error in thinking that you have not removed the original foam cover from the mike. For the EQ XL1 to fit properley, the foam cover has to be removed, and then follow Chris instructions. The cover can be removed by loosening the small philips head screw in the plastic ring of the cover and sliding the foam wind-shield forward.

Hope I'm in error!

Best;

Ron

Greg Boston June 12th, 2005 10:26 PM

Ron,

You beat me to it. Indeed, that's the way it is supposed to be mounted. M. Scott, first remove the stock foam and then install the EQ-XL1. Should make life easier for you by doing it this way. :)

-gb-

M. Scott Smith June 12th, 2005 10:36 PM

Alright, so I'm feeling a little dumb now. :-)

I wondered if the stock foam was supposed to be removed, but the windscreen instructions didn't mention anything about that, and I couldn't see a way to slide the stock foam off -- it looked like it was glued on. 'Course, I neglected to see that small philips screw and didn't realize the plastic ring (connecting to the foam) was itself removeable.

I've removed the stock foam, and had a *much* easier time sliding the windscreen on this time. ;-)

Thanks again,

- Scott