XL2 Settings Contest - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 8th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #31
Regular Crew

OK, the XL2 setup card layout is much better now.

http://www.geocities.com/amjoyce2004/main.html

See the link under the camera pic.

Thanks,
Andy
Andy Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #32
Major Player

Andy, Now just pick a from the look you like from the Scene Files , see if you can recreate it, and send us all that scene on your new improved form!

I'm going to try and get the VIVID (emulates a “Velvia” look) setup this weekend as the hurricane washes ashore.
Old August 14th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #33
Regular Crew

I think this is as good as I care to make it. I have the Excel file if anyone wants it. This is less valuable since the new preset manager is out, but if you can't carry around a laptop these will do for field setups.

http://www.geocities.com/amjoyce2004 (XL2 setup sheet)

Thanks to everyone for the inspiration!
Old August 14th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #34
Trustee

I have heard of the DVX100 having better image out of the box and the XL2 needing post work for doing the same. But I'm from the old school, which likes to shoot plain old clean images and get the look in post. That way I have flexibility and can always go back.
So, I would take a true 16:9, higher resolution image with more lens options over preset looks any day of the week. Reason I decided to buy a XL2 over a DVX100a.

By the way Bill Porter, I didn't have a chance to reply to you over the other thread, because it was locked before I got to it. But the answer to your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
It would be interesting if there were another test wherein the XL2 were set up differently and showed a superior image to the DVX. Had I posted a link to it on a site called XL2user.com, would Mike have posted the exact same rant about how the site was biased? We already know the answer ;-)
Your answer is, if the reviewer made biased comments and posted unfair test comparisons and examples, yes I would have posted the exact same rant about how the site was biased. Because I do not own neither of them. I was researching about the cameras. I had no reason to be biased towards the XL2. Specially given I didn't like the old XL1. But the way the article is written, it's laughable. In the beginning, it made me think the XL2 was really that bad. But as I went on, I saw the problem was not the XL2, but the bias of the reviewer. After I read Adam Wilt's review and other reviews on the XL2 online, I was sure I was right about the extreme bias. After testing both, I know that review is bogus. It's pure propaganda.
Now, I have made my decision and it's a XL2. I should be buying one soon if all goes well.
So something tells me you didn't know the answer you thought you did ;-)

Last edited by Michael Maier; August 14th, 2005 at 09:17 PM.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
I have heard of the DVX100 having better image out of the box and the XL2 needing post work for doing the same. But I'm from the old school, which likes to shoot plain old clean images and get the look in post. That way I have flexibility and can always go back.
So, I would take a true 16:9, higher resolution image with more lens options over preset looks any day of the week. Reason I decided to buy a XL2 over a DVX100a. By the way Bill Porter, I didn't have a chance to reply to you over the other thread, because it was locked before I got to it. But the answer to your question: Your answer is, if the reviewer made biased comments and posted unfair test comparisons and examples, yes I would have posted the exact same rant about how the site was biased. Because I do not own neither of them. I was researching about the cameras. I had no reason to be biased towards the XL2. Specially given I didn't like the old XL1. But the way the article is written, it's laughable. In the beginning, it made me think the XL2 was really that bad. But as I went on, I saw the problem was not the XL2, but the bias of the reviewer. After I read Adam Wilt's review and other reviews on the XL2 online, I was sure I was right about the extreme bias. After testing both, I know that review is bogus. It's pure propaganda.
Now, I have made my decision and it's a XL2. I should be buying one soon if all goes well.
So something tells me you didn't know the answer you thought you did ;-)
Michael, You "thread-jacking" me here. This thread is about sharing XL2 Settings between XL2 owners or users, not about whether an XL2 vs. DVX review was biased. Go get your own thread. They're free. You just can't violate the "no us vs. them baiting rule", which your reply seemed dangerously close to as I read it.

So...post an XL2 setup here or...move along...nothing to see here...break it up...go back inside...move along (and while I can picture the cop saying this in a movie, I can't for the life of me remember which movie it was, and I hate not beeing able to accurately credit a movie when I quote a line, dang senior moments are coming more frequently these days).
Old August 16th, 2005, 03:29 AM   #36
Trustee

Didn't mean to hijack your thread Patrick. It just seemd to me the thread had turned into "the XL2 is not capable to replicate the DVX100 colors and or looks".It seemed to me people were, again, comparing the XL2 to the DVX100. It seemed to me, what was being said was that the XL2 can't match the DVX100 in colors and gamma, that the DVX100 does it better. I just wanted to express my opinion about the matter, which is, I take the XL2 16:9 and sharper image any day over a pre-set look. That's all.
Old August 16th, 2005, 03:34 AM   #37
Major Player

Michael, sounds as if you not only like the XL2 but may own one. Come on now, cough up your favorite preset and post it here. 'Share and share alike' is what we do with preset setups, so give us your fav and explain how you use it. Thanx!
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #38
Trustee

Hey Patrick, as I said on my first post in this thread, I don't own a XL2. I was recently researching for the purchase of a new camera and ended up between the DVX100a and the XL2. I decided for the XL2, but I didn't buy it yet. I will get one soon though and if I come up with any custom presets, I will sure share them here.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #39
Regular Crew

I don't understand all of the debate. This is a great idea. It will give those who wish to be involved, a real purpose behind playing with their settings. Whether people win or lose, everyone will become that much more familiar with their cameras. It seems to me that everyone who tries will come out a winner.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #40
Obstreperous Rex

Yes indeed, Evan -- and thanks to you and Patrick for bringing us back on topic!

Discuss your favorite XL2 presets here! Got another topic? Start a different thread! Or better yet, find an existing thread about that topic and post there. You name it, we've probably already discussed it. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #41
Major Player

Well, based on my tiny experience with the XL2, different settings for different scenes.

You definitely can not base one setting on the entire feature you are trying to make.

One room setting might be different from another room setting.

I know that Gurus in here have at least given everyone a good start, the rest is u to you now to perfect it the way you would like it by exercising that word ..."PRACTICE"

Practice makes perfect.
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #42
Tourist

Hrm, sooo I bought an XL2 and I'm interested in my setups... I looked at this post and the scene files. I bought this camera to have some hobbie fun with and coming from a programmers background I might be able to translate the scene files. I'll see if I can find something to get a value for the settings.
Bryan Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #43
Tourist

Come to think of it, I might be able to write a capatible canon file from those scene files.
Bryan Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #44
Regular Crew

If I were a programmer I'd write a settings generator that would churn out 1000's of different settings (in increments or randomly) and that would automatically apply them to the XL2 and then save a jpeg of each setting along with accompanying data file to a folder on my computer. Later I would browse through the thumbnails to find the look I want and drag and drop it to the application window to change the camera's settings. Call it machine assisted trial and error.
Roger Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #45
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Moore
If I were a programmer I'd write a settings generator that would churn out 1000's of different settings ...
Hi Roger,

I am an accomplished programmer but I've never research exactly how to write a program that talks to/controls the XL2. Based on this "console" thing I've read a little about, it sounds like there must be some sort of XL2 API (application programming interface) out there. If I could find some documentation/code examples for interfacing to an XL2 using Microsoft .NET, I could probably throw something together. That would probably help inexperienced videographers like me understand how all of these settings combine. Would anyone actually be interested?

Todd
Todd Brassard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders