20X Zoom focal length at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 15th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #1
New Boot

20X Zoom focal length

Hello out there!
I have an XL2 with the standard 20X Zoom. My problem is the focal length is wrong for doing any shooting in close range ( Approx 2 to 5 Feet). Am I missing something or am I just stuck with it? Also, my friend has an XL1 with the 16X lens which seems to be more suited for short length shooting. Will the lens work on the XL2?

thanks
Steve Barazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The XL1 and XL2 have the same mount, so yes you can use the lens. There is a wide angle for the XL cameras which would probably be what you need Creative Video Canon Authorised Dealers > Canon XL-6X (XL6X) HD Video Lens 6x XL 3.4-20.4mm L - Wide angle zoom lens for XL-H1 (XLH1)
You can also get wide angle adapters which reduce the focal length by .7x or so. These screw onto the front of the lens, but do reduce quality somewhat.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Trustee

The 16X AF does not offer a closer view at the short end than the 20X AF IS lens. In fact the 20X lens is slightly wider, so can go in closer - with 'macro' mode on auto. The 16X Manual lens (black MF no IS) has a manual macro setting to get in tighter.

For wider views up close, then you have the options of placing a wide lens adapter on the front, such as a Red Eye 0.7X lens, or Century; or use the Canon 3X AF or 6X AF lenses.

Go here for Lens options chart by Chris Hurd:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article04.php
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Canon adapter

Canon also makes a 0.8X screw-on converter (similar to the Century one) called the RC-72 which can get you wider (although it works best if you're shooting 4:3 aspect... there's a bit of vignetting in 16:9). It's a good sized chunk of glass and makes the 20X lens become extremely front heavy, but it's not too expensive at around $250-$300.
Ryan Chaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders