XL2 too old? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 12th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #16
Major Player

I'm in the same boat

You might want to consider a 7D or even a Rebel T2i, which is less than half the cost of an XL2 (brand new and used) and has full 1080p recording, manual controls and it takes stills. You still get the lens options but the biggest thing you sacrifice...

XLR inputs for quality audio recording. The 7D is very limited in that aspect. Check it out:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=19356

Definitely worth looking into and the learning curve could prove to your advantage (depending on how you look at it).

I'm considering one of these myself and I currently own an XL2. As awesome as it is...it's still HD and like many have already stated, SD is on its way out quickly.
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #17
Inner Circle

For narrative shorts and even features all these still photo cameras with interchangeable lenses are very attractive indeed, but plan on recording dual system audio. For most other shooting, they are unworkable in my opinion. As far as audio, beyond the lack of XLR inputs, they have other compromises that make recording audio to those cameras a no-go.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Marco,

the xl2 still has plenty of use in it. Delivery is still 98% SD in the video world. I have an xl2 an xlh1 both and for most events it is still standad definition. Presently I am more and more making a dvd and a blu ray if that is appropriate. Personally I prefer my xl2 to shoot standard definition. If you get the presets and exposures right the xl2 makes amazing footage.

If you have not moved on this yet, you can pick up an xl2 on ebay for as low as 1500 dollars, way cheap!!! Great camera, with up to 4 audio inputs, interchangable lenses and great image control!! Later when you go HD you could still use this camera to record fantastic audio!!

Dale Guthormsen
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Grinnell View Post
My question is... I want to get a camera, but I dont want to just get a handheld camera that you get from walmart or best-buy... they just dont have the stability that Im looking for... I dont realy care all that much about HD, I just want a camera that will shoot quality video...

So do you think this camera would be a wise choice?

Thanks

David
Without a doubt, for your requirements David, I would say yes, go for it.

I love the XL2 camera and think that it would be the perfect camera for you to use and learn. If you cannot afford a new one, you'll find plenty of mint secondhand XL2 cameras, and probably be lucky enough to find one with plenty of extras included.

It is the perfect choice, especially if you want to make top-grade DVDs, and far easier and more convenient than down-rezzing HD.

The XL2 (and the earlier XL1s if you use 4:3 more than 16:9) are still very viable cameras today, especially if your end product is not HD.

Yes, several of the modern DSLR cameras are cheaper, but not when you compare the lens and zoom options and IS and quality sound recording etc built-in to the XL2 out-of-the-box. Plus the simple fact that a DSLR, regardless of high quality picture output, would be far more difficult to use and learn for all-round video subjects.
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #20
Trustee

David, I do videos for two Federal Agencies. All are in SD and all are videoed with my XL2. I have full access to an XL H1 but prefer the color that I keyed into the presets on my XL2. We distribute these to the general public on DVD and on the web. In addition, these have beed projected on screens at National events. Trust me, no one has asked for an HD copy yet. Go with the XL2, you will be useing it and making money with it for a long time. It is one great Camcorder, plus, you can probably pick up the 3x wide angle at the same time. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input, I have since gotten a used XL2 from someone that saw me on here and gave me a great deal on it... I couldn't be happier, I love the way I can play with the presets and get the look I want before I record and not have to do much CC in post.

It not being HD hasn't been a problem yet as most of footage that people are accustom to seeing around here are shot on the cheap HD cams that you can get from best buy for $300 or so... I think the XL2 in SD still blows them out of the water....

If I start making enough money to justify buying a nice HD cam, then I will, I just feel this was a good camera for me to start out with... the price was right, I was also able to get a nicer tripod than what I had planned on and that's a bonus... I am still however in the market for a 3x lens as those seem very useful to have for the tight shooting areas..

~David
David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:30 PM   #22
Trustee

David, congradulations on getting the XL-2. Now that you have had it for a few weeks what do you think of it? Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #23
Major Player

David,

EDIT...oops, didn't see page 2 and the fact you've already taken the plunge.....priced up any primes yet.... :) & yes the 3x is great..... also consider a good quality fisheye adaptor...I'll leave the rest of my original post. Al

Hire yourself a Xl2, see if you like it, if you don't, look around and hire something else untill you find something that suits.

Be aware, once you start shooting wildlife you'll likely be hooked and looking for EF prime lenes so's you can 'get just a little closer'.....then come tripods, varizooms...hides and no, no, you can't shoot it yet, I need 10 more seconds......it's great....... :)

If you have a couple of hand held HD's, consider buying a second hand Merlin. They're great for stability and creativeness.

Trawl eBay, there are some great bargains, if you don't like it, resell, you may only have to take a small hit and you'll gain a lot of experience.

My .2c worth. Good luck.

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #24
Major Player

I'm inclined to agree with Alan.

A huge emphasis is always placed on the camera purchase. What sort is 'best'. Fair enough it's an important aspect of course. Unfortunately it doesn't stop there. The camera is only the start.

Alan pointed out a list you need for wildlife shooting. If you're interested in other aspects of video keep in mind what you need to fit out your kit. A sturdy tripod, additional lenses, lighting, audio equipment, cables. Then it's... Oh! If only I had a dolly, a crane, a steadicam, a, the list goes on. Now I need cases to pack and carry all this stuff.

I have found it is important to plan what YOU intend to do. Think it through, and buy what YOU need.
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #25
Inner Circle

good evening,

" Think it through, and buy what YOU need. "

Key work here is NEED!!!!! not Want.

Great Advice!!!!

Another great piece i received, from my wife!! of all people.

"There are always deals!!!!"

Aside:

North by Northwest Hitchcock movie, now made as blu ray, is the best example of how awesome HD can be on an hd TV!!!!

I think it is the best straight blu ray movie I have seen!!! detail and such arer awesome!!

For general media/video SD still rules, though I shoot 90% in HD.
dale guthormsen

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders