XL-2 straight to DVD...to duplication. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 9th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #1
New Boot

XL-2 straight to DVD...to duplication.

First post so be gentle ;)

I have an XL-2 that I am using for events like Marching Band etc. Here's is what I want to do:

I'd like to record a performance and have it go straight to DVD. Take the DVD and put it in a 3 or 5 disk standalone duplicator and sell to the public on site. Recording to DVD needs to be reliable...this is paramount. I don't mind messing up a duplicated DVD but the original needs to be right.

I have seen this item:Sony | DVDirect MC10 Multi-Function DVD Recorder | VRDMC10 | B&H

Has anyone seen this before or heard good or bad? It seems nice and compact which is nice. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Any suggestions on Duplicators would be great. I saw this on B+H:
Microboards | QD-DVD-125 18x/48x Standalone 1:5 | QD-DVD-125

And one last thing...can anyone recommend a decent yet inexpensive shotgun mic? I hate getting the crowd noises in the video sometimes. Sometimes noise from the guys in the press box with us leaks in as well. I'm thinking a shotgun mic might do the trick.

Thanks a bunch for any help you guys can offer!
Joe Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Trustee

Joe, I have an older version of the Sony DVD recorder. It really does do what it is intended to do. It makes direct tape to dvd copies. It will allow you to pause recording so you can skip long boring shots or bad shots. It records in real time, so if you shot an hour long band recital it takes an hour to make the copy. You can then make all the copies you want. My primary use was to copy all my old VHS tapes to DVD. And for that it was just what I wanted. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #3
Wrangler

To minimize crowd noise, get a directional mic in front of the audience, on the runnign track. Any mic positioned behind the audience will pick up a lot of audience noise.

As to which microphone, consider a single point stereo mic such as the AT8022 as a minimum. A stereo sound image is important, especially if yo intend to compete with camcorder in the hands of Joe and Jane Sixpack sitting in the stands.

However a mic at the 50 will tend to give the pit sound too much emphasis (because it is so close) so consider separate left and right mics on each 40. I've been using Shure wireless with Beta58 elements for 10+ years now with good results.

As to which direct to DVD recorder to use - I've used a Toshiba D-KR10KU in the home and at a school (but not in a commercial application) with success. And I use it to make DVD for the band after a half-time show, but it might not be fast enough finalizing a DVD for copying for you needs. In any case try before you use it in a money shoot, and run a tape for backup in the camcorders.

In this application you may eventually go to multiple camcorders (for multiple view angles) and use a live switcher

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders