DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Anton Bauer and the XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/46993-anton-bauer-xl2.html)

Alex Bornstein June 30th, 2005 12:48 AM

Anton Bauer and the XL2

Hey,

I've been getting my feet wet with the XL2 and am using an Anton Bauer Hytron 50 brick. The Canon keeps telling me that the battery needs to be replaced and keeps nulling my Time Zone settings. Is this just what happens with the battery system, or do I need to tell the camera that it's using a specific power set up?

Camera is working great otherwise (and this hopefully isn't that big of a problem either)!

Thanks!

EDIT: I feel very silly. After reading the manual cover to cover, turns out these problems were caused by the lack of the CR2025 Button Battery. Thanks for the replies though!

Bruce S. Yarock June 30th, 2005 04:51 AM

I'm using an AB dionic 90, and have never had that problem. You should call AB's customer service. They're real helpfull and easy to contact.
Good luck
Bruce yarock

Rainer Hoffmann June 30th, 2005 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Bornstein
The Canon keeps telling me that the battery needs to be replaced and keeps nulling my Time Zone settings.

Alex,

this seems to be unrelated to the AB battery. You need to replace the small CR2025 battery.

Greg Boston June 30th, 2005 06:14 AM

Rainer is absolutely correct. Alex, you need to open the little battery compartment on the right side behind the hand grip. That is the battery which retains date/time, camera settings, etc. In fact, the replace battery icon should look like a side view of a lithium button battery with a line through it.

I'm curiious though. The XL-2 is not old enough yet for the 3v lithium battery to be dead. Could it be you never installed it? If so, you really got a lemon for a battery. That battery should be good for a couple years or more.

regards,

-gb-

Rainer Hoffmann June 30th, 2005 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
I'm curiious though. The XL-2 is not old enough yet for the 3v lithium battery to be dead. Could it be you never installed it? If so, you really got a lemon for a battery. That battery should be good for a couple years or more.

In the manual it says that the battery is good for about a year. But may be this is a very conservative assumption.

Alex Bornstein June 30th, 2005 01:09 PM

New Question :-)

Based on the conversion tables, the Hytron 50 should be providing me with about 7 hours of power but the LCD reads 3 hours. Any thoughts?

If my previous post was any indication, I'm probably just reading it wrong.

EDIT: Another question! In regards to lens and CCD care, is it best to leave them alone until there is a very noticable lack of quality on the picture? The CCD and lens components have to be pretty sensitive. Nothing has happened though, but after changing the lens a few times...I get nervous.

Bob Pennington July 1st, 2005 07:14 AM

Anton/Bauer Display

Alex: The battery display is designed for 14.4 volt settings. 4 hours is the largest number that the display can read.

Applying a larger load to battery (using a light or powering another device out of the PowerTap port) will change the REAL TIME display. Under default load of 20 watts the Hytron 50 will have 2-1/2 hours of run time.

When you take the battery charger, it probably says 2 and 1/2. This is simulating a 20 watt load. When you place the battery on the camera-- the number actually increases-- because the load of the XL-2 is around 9 watts-- less than the simulated load!!!

Remember that this display is real time-- it will adjust the display as the load or the amount of power you are asking the battery to provide changes.

Alex Bornstein July 1st, 2005 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Pennington
Alex: The battery display is designed for 14.4 volt settings. 4 hours is the largest number that the display can read.

Applying a larger load to battery (using a light or powering another device out of the PowerTap port) will change the REAL TIME display. Under default load of 20 watts the Hytron 50 will have 2-1/2 hours of run time.

When you take the battery charger, it probably says 2 and 1/2. This is simulating a 20 watt load. When you place the battery on the camera-- the number actually increases-- because the load of the XL-2 is around 9 watts-- less than the simulated load!!!

Remember that this display is real time-- it will adjust the display as the load or the amount of power you are asking the battery to provide changes.

Thank you for the help! That cleared it up :-)