80 minute tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Major Player

80 minute tapes

Is anyone using them in their XL2?
Pros cons comments?

I have always used 60 minute tapes and want to know if anyone has experienced any problems with 80 minute tapes.

Thank you,
Bill
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #2
Wrangler

Have used a few in a XL1 and GL1, no issues, but they are more expensive compared to 60 minute tapes, and I believe have a somewhat thinner base so they are not as strong (whihc may not really be an issue).

Probably better than using the slow recording speed though in terms of tape portability to other machines..
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #3
New Boot

I've been using the Panasonic Pro 80 min. Love em. You get an extra 20 minutes. It's great.
Brendan South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've been using Panasonic PQ83's in both my XL-2 and XL1-s (and my old GL-1) for years with no problem. That extra 23 minutes can give you piece of mind.
David Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Bill,

Like others here, I've used the Pana 80 min tapes for years too, with no problems.

Unfortuately not with the XL2, but with a few Sony units and my Canon HV30.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I've used Pana MQ 83mins for the past 6years. I bought last 50 from BnH 18months ago and they're now discontinued .. or more probably just repackaged.

The only problems have been a few dropouts at the start of a couple of tapes caused by ME! getting airborne microgrit in the transport when I changed tapes in a dusty environment.

That's what causes tape dropouts .. brush/wipe/blow the top of your transport before you open it to change tapes. Have the new tape out ready to load .. keep the tpt open for the least possible time and never leave tapes lying around out of their cases .. you're just asking for trouble.

83 min tapes are 2 microns thinner than 63mins, no problems at all.

Cheers.
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks everyone, the tapes I normally use which are 60 minutes are back-ordered with no ship date. Their 80 minute counter part is available I will order them if the backorder is not resolved in time.

Thank you,
Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders