DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Report from the field: XL2/XL1 Durability/Quality (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/47110-report-field-xl2-xl1-durability-quality.html)

Joe Winchester July 13th, 2005 11:17 PM

One interesting issue with the XL1 and its tolerances.... Last summer we shot a commercial for a non-profit out here at the beach at 6:30am. Typical Florida humidity, 90% or so. Temperature around 80 degrees. Camera was kept inside the night before..... big mistake. We get all set up with the lights and 45 extras, I get the camera out of the car and immediately the "condensation detected" error comes up and the camera won't function. Well, almost 20 minutes later, after running the heater in the car at full blast with the camera inside to hopefully get rid of the condensation, it worked fine. The best part, no one ever knew! We shot on time and it turned out great!

Lesson learned: The humidity tolerance of this camera (xl1) is NOT very high, in my experience, even when the temp isn't too high. Especially when it's left in A/C all night :P

My work around: Leave the cameras in the car the night before so they're the same temp when you take them out to shoot the next morning. Batteries stay inside with me.

Since this event, I've applied this work around on several occasions with my XL1 and XL2 with no issues whatsoever.

I'm sure this isn't news to many of you and certainly won't apply to you guys and gals in the lesser-humid climates, but anyone who shoots in FL should know these kinda things!

Bill Pryor July 14th, 2005 10:09 AM

Condensation isn't an XL issue. Any camera will shut down due to condensation in Florida if you take it from an air conditioned environment out into excessive humidity. I've had that happen with a $40,000 camera in Ft. Lauderdale.

Marco Wagner July 14th, 2005 06:55 PM

Had the same thing happen with a $200 8mm in Orlando.

Joe Winchester July 14th, 2005 07:14 PM

I wasn't saying it was necessarily an "xl issue" only, just an issue. Something that one should be aware of shooting in different environments, which is what this thread is about :P

Condensation is not something you would automatically think of if you've never experienced it before. Just throwing it out there.

Anthony Marotti July 15th, 2005 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Winchester
I wasn't saying it was necessarily an "xl issue" only, just an issue. Something that one should be aware of shooting in different environments, which is what this thread is about :P

Condensation is not something you would automatically think of if you've never experienced it before. Just throwing it out there.

Well I have been in business for well over 25 years, and until I shot in Miami... I just didn't think it could be so bad.... WOW!

I appreciate everyones comments here... very enlightening!!