Video Out Cable XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:37 AM   #1
New Boot

Video Out Cable XL2

Hello all,

Just picked up a JVC TM-1600SU broadcast monitor on Ebay so I can see what the heck the Xl2's custom settings impart on my image (I hope this monitor will serve me better than the 20" LCD I've been using). While I await the monitor's arrival, I'd like to get the proper cable to go from the XL2 to the monitor. Both my XL2 and the monitor have BNC connections, except it appears that the XL2's BNC is male? Could someone please be so kind as to suggest the correct configuration for a bnc cable for my situation; a link to a resource would be even more stellar!

See linked image for both connections:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/6638/bnc.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

Steve

Last edited by Steve Marshall; January 22nd, 2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: typo
Steve Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Major Player

You just need a BNC female to female cable. HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

And hello from eastern PA!
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Actually the female ends are on the camera and the monitor.

The cable that Edward has linked to above is really M/M or male to male.

If it looks a bit confusing in the photo, it's just because the connector on the monitor has a plastic insulating sleeve around the female insert while the XL2 connector does not. But rest assured, this is the standard BNC layout and a plain vanilla male-to-male BNC cable (the most common type) will get the job done here.

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:00 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks guys, I'll order one up right now!!!

May I ask, should that particular monitor allow me to see the nuances which the multitude of settings, i.e. coring, master ped, etc. impart on my image with reasonable accuracy? I've owned my XL2 for a couple of years now, and it's got very low miles. Until recently I've been cautious about applying too many of the custom setting options - doing most of my tweaking in post. Of late I've been getting a lot bolder and I've been tweaking the settings quite a bit; this camera really shines when you do so. In fact, it's as if I'm shooting with an entirely different camera!

I have an important project upcoming for an exercise product I've developed over the past 2 years. The main purpose for the monitor purchase is to assure that what I see will be what I get! We are going to rent space for the shoot and I will have no second chances...this is a big and nerve-racking deal for me. We are slated to shoot sometime in Feb. and I really want to dial in the look for this project. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

BTW..Hi Edward...maybe I'll see you at this year's Pocono 500!

Edit: Forgive my naiveté gents; I just want to be sure I'm getting this right. The male bnc doesn't seem right for the XL2 connector (see linked image). I trust your expertise, it's my eyes with which I'm having my conundrum.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9094/bncyes.jpg

Thanks again fellas!

Steve

Last edited by Steve Marshall; January 22nd, 2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Steve...........

CH is correct (as usual) as is Edward, the connector shown on the XL2 is female, which requires a male plug connector on the cable.

The JVC is likewise.

You didn't say where this O/P is going, is getting the details that important?

True, checking out what the camera looks like isn't a bad idea, but really, most viewers wouldn't know a decently sorted video if it sat up and bit them, quite frankly.

Unless it's going for network/ cinematic release, where it's a whole different ball game.

Hope it goes well.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:11 AM   #6
New Boot

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure what you mean by "O/P"; I assume you mean where this particular video project will be targeted? The product I've developed will be brought before some major players in the fitness infomercial industry this spring. We (my investment partner & I) have generated a strong interest in this particular product over the last 12 months. It could be potentially stiff competition for products such as the AB Circle, Ab Rocket & Back 2 Life amongst a host of other ab/back/core doo-dads.

I've already completed the beta workout video for the product which was shot hand-held with ample available light. I of course was not at all pleased with the look of the footage. My intention however was to quickly get out the product & DVD, containing setup instructions and our core workout for our case studies and a dozen or so physicians who will give us video testimonials. We need to acquire “before and after” shots, testimonials, etc. well ahead of our meetings with the big boys.

Before we sit down at any corporate negotiating tables, I want the production workout video to look as polished as possible within our budget. Bear in mind these producers and buyers are accustomed to viewing broadcast quality productions all day long. As well, I've invested over a year of market research/focus group study on this product and I know the workout DVD offers the “sizzle” that will sell it.

I will have some difficult lighting challenges ahead, plus some contrast issues, i.e. black and yellow (product/company colors) outfits on off-white backgrounds, etc., hence my emphasis on getting the look just so. If all goes well, our video could be in over a million homes, perhaps a few more!

Thanks for confirming the BNC connection deal. The XL2’s connection looks odd for coupling with the male connector, but I assume the two center conductors contact one another tip-to-tip, completing the connection. It still looks odd to me.
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #7
Regular Crew

If you look realy close at the XL2's connection you will see that the pin is hollow, the one from the cable slides in the hollow pin on the camera :)
David Grinnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders